No more Lakins and Armstrong

Explosivo

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, I guess what I am saying is Armstrong is becoming a threat to himself and Flaa is probably the next man up. If Armstrong still has a 10.80 ERA on June 1, how much longer do you stick with him? June 15? July 1? 

I don’t think you start to consider anything until at least June.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Armstrong is better at basically everything and has throughout their pro careers.  Why would Lakins be safer?  

Armstrong definitely has a longer track record in the majors, but he's been worse this season and is older and more expensive.

Lakins Sr: 26

Armstrong: 30

Career ERA:

Lakins Sr: 3.59

Armstrong: 4.46

2021 ERA: 

Lakins Sr: 5.19

Armstrong: 10.80

WAR from 2019-2021:

Lakins Sr: 1.1

Armstrong: 0.1

HR/9:

Lakins Sr: 0.6

Armstrong: 1.3

Salary:

Lakins Sr: $530,591

Armstrong: $825,000

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Salary:

If the O’s cut Armstrong at this point, they have to pay the full $825 k less whatever another team pays him.   If they option Lakins to the minors, they keep him and pay less than the major league minimum.  

On 5/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, TommyPickles said:

Armstrong definitely has a longer track record in the majors, but he's been worse this season and is older and more expensive.

Lakins Sr: 26

Armstrong: 30

Career ERA:

Lakins Sr: 3.59

Armstrong: 4.46

2021 ERA: 

Lakins Sr: 5.19

Armstrong: 10.80

WAR from 2019-2021:

Lakins Sr: 1.1

Armstrong: 0.1

HR/9:

Lakins Sr: 0.6

Armstrong: 1.3

Salary:

The salary means nothing.

Age means very little for relievers, especially middling guys who aren’t likely long term options.

Armstrong has struggled this year, which hurts most of those numbers.  It’s not really worth even mentioning because it’s such a tiny sample size.

Throughout their pro careers, Armstrong has shown better control and command, a higher K rate and ability to miss bats at a higher rate.

He has always been the better pitcher between the 2 and he is today as well, even if he has had 2.1 bad innings this season.

If your starting catcher is hitting 250 with I hr and 3 rbi he should be a very good defensive catcher, Pedro is not. First inning he tried to trick Judge at two strikes with a curveball, Kremer hadn't thrown one in the inning, hung it, gone.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oldfan said:

If your starting catcher is hitting 250 with I hr and 3 rbi he should be a very good defensive catcher, Pedro is not. First inning he tried to trick Judge at two strikes with a curveball, Kremer hadn't thrown one in the inning, hung it, gone.

Not only is he bad at setting a target and receiving, his pitch sequencing inspires little confidence. 

8 hours ago, oldfan said:

How did it go the next AB when Kremer threw him a fastball?

Pitcher hangs a curve ball, throws a fastball middle-middle to one of the best HR hitters in baseball and gets the same result both times.   Whatever the catcher calls, the pitcher has to execute the pitch in a good location.     Kremer didn’t.

That said, he was good most of the night.   If you want to blame the first homer on Severino, does he get credit for otherwise calling a good game?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

How did it go the next AB when Kremer threw him a fastball?

Pitcher hangs a curve ball, throws a fastball middle-middle to one of the best HR hitters in baseball and gets the same result both times.   Whatever the catcher calls, the pitcher has to execute the pitch in a good location.     Kremer didn’t.

That said, he was good most of the night.   If you want to blame the first homer on Severino, does he get credit for otherwise calling a good game?

Yep Kremer agreed.

“I think it was pretty good tonight,” Kremer said. “Made a couple mistakes to the wrong guy and he’s got enough power to do some damage. Overall, I think it went pretty well. Stuck to our approach and tried to execute it as best I could. Sevie called a good game.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/05/yankees-power-past-orioles-5-4.html

10 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Lakins gives up the homer today 5/14 to Urshela which lost the game but here's what I saw, a catcher who called the same pitch in the same location 7 pitches in a row.

He was set up to fail.

I have no idea why he was even in the game. He is like a worse version of Sulser who was already in the game and had only face a couple batters.

• Upvote 1

Kremer is not going to say his catcher stunk. And what is the fixation with the outside corner, how about pitching inside to the hitter. Urshela fouled off 4 or 5, so he had the outside corner covered, he's diving out to get those pitches. These days most hitters are standing on top of the plate or diving in, so a pitch on outer third is like down the middle to them. Throw inside.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldfan said:

Kremer is not going to say his catcher stunk. And what is the fixation with the outside corner, how about pitching inside to the hitter. Urshela fouled off 4 or 5, so he had the outside corner covered, he's diving out to get those pitches. These days most hitters are standing on top of the plate or diving in, so a pitch on outer third is like down the middle to them. Throw inside.

Right before he hit the HR i said to my wife "double down the rightfield line".  He missed his spot in, caught too much of the plate and the double turned into a HR to right.

That sequence was asanine.  Change spots, change eye height, something, but for God's sake don't call another pitch in the same place.