No more Lakins and Armstrong

Explosivo

Lakins isn’t in the same boat as Armstrong. Lakins has command he just had two dudes hit homers off him. Armstrong has no idea where the ball is going. When Armstrong does get into the zone, he gets rocked. Hyde needs to back off Lakins for 2-3 days and he’ll be alright. Might just be a little overworked. 

It’s really hard to ask the bullpen to go 4-5 IP, scoreless, every single game. The offense and the rotation need to step up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lakins isn’t in the same boat as Armstrong. Lakins has command he just had two dudes hit homers off him. Armstrong has no idea where the ball is going. When Armstrong does get into the zone, he gets rocked. Hyde needs to back off Lakins for 2-3 days and he’ll be alright. Might just be a little overworked. 

It’s really hard to ask the bullpen to go 4-5 IP, scoreless, every single game. The offense and the rotation need to step up. 

Lakins has only allowed one homer all season.   Last night Lakins allow a single and two walks and left the game.  Scott allow a sac fly and a 3 run homer.

• Upvote 1

I’ve seen lakins implode in Arlington. He imploded last night. He keeps being out in high pressure situations and his confidence is waning. I blame Hyde more than anything there. He is doing the kid a disservice.

22 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I’ve seen lakins implode in Arlington. He imploded last night. He keeps being out in high pressure situations and his confidence is waning. I blame Hyde more than anything there. He is doing the kid a disservice.

Yea, it’s definitely Hyde’s fault.  Let’s forget the fact that Lakins had a 4.45 career MINOR league ERA or that his ML peripherals are subpar or that misses bats at a below league average pace or that he struggles to throw strikes.

But yes, Hyde is the one doing him a disservice.  

• Upvote 2

If Lakins is pitching in high leverage situations, you may not have a strong a bullpen as some think. Lakins is fine as guy you bring in during the 6th or 7th inning to eat some innings if the team is up or down by a bunch, but he doesn't have the stuff to be a high leverage guy. A few good outings should not have changed the role he belongs in really. 

Sulser has thrown the ball much better than Lakins and has proven when he throws strikes, he can be very effective. Scott, Lakins and Armstrong have really struggled with their command this year.

Plutko has been a nice surprise so far and Fry has been money on most nights. Lakins is just not commanding the ball like he needs to to have continued success and he doesn't have the stuff to get away with a lack of command.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lakins has command?  He has a walk rate over 8 this year and just under 5 for his ML career.  His str% is 59% for his ML career.(and it’s like 55% for this year)

His MiL walk rate was just under 4 and his K rate wasn’t great in the minors either.

Meanwhile, Armstrong easily trumps those numbers yet he is the one with poor command?  Are you only talking about this season thus far?  If you are, you are wrong about Lakins when you say he has command this year...he doesn’t.  

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Lakins is pitching in high leverage situations, you may not have a strong a bullpen as some think. Lakins is fine as guy you bring in during the 6th or 7th inning to eat some innings if the team is up or down by a bunch, but he doesn't have the stuff to be a high leverage guy. A few good outings should not have changed the role he belongs in really. 

Sulser has thrown the ball much better than Lakins and has proven when he throws strikes, he can be very effective. Scott, Lakins and Armstrong have really struggled with their command this year.

Plutko has been a nice surprise so far and Fry has been money on most nights. Lakins is just not commanding the ball like he needs to to have continued success and he doesn't have the stuff to get away with a lack of command.

And that’s why I think Hyde is messing up Lakins by making him do things he’s simply not capable of doing currently. Trying different guys in situations like these would be the smart play. When a guy like Lakins loses confidence in his stuff, it can spiral downward quick. We saw the same thing happen to Sulser last year and yet Hyde went right back to the guy, over and over, and killed a lot of momentum the team had. I’m a bit biased however as I don’t think Hyde is the right guy for the job. He doesn’t seem to understand his personnel at all. We see that with pitching decisions and we see that with the infield as well.

21 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

And that’s why I think Hyde is messing up Lakins by making him do things he’s simply not capable of doing currently. Trying different guys in situations like these would be the smart play. When a guy like Lakins loses confidence in his stuff, it can spiral downward quick. We saw the same thing happen to Sulser last year and yet Hyde went right back to the guy, over and over, and killed a lot of momentum the team had. I’m a bit biased however as I don’t think Hyde is the right guy for the job. He doesn’t seem to understand his personnel at all. We see that with pitching decisions and we see that with the infield as well.

Lol...this is a horrible take.

If you want to blame anyone, you blame Elias for even having Lakins on the team. 

Or, you can just place accountability (I know, that’s a dangerous and really bad word in today’s society where it’s far easier to blame someone else your problems) on Lakins himself.