Reddit- Umpires have heavily favored Orioles opponents this season

Can_of_corn

16 minutes ago, now said:

And 10 runs = 1 win, right, theoretically? So it has made a difference, of 1 win.

Well, that’s a rough average.   Just like a team’s Pythagorean record won’t usually match its actual record exactly, the ten runs per win is an estimate because it depends when those runs are scored.  Timing is everything in life!

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This seems to fit here.

Sure wish the O's had a decent framing catcher in the system.

33305dwkgv371.png

I commented about the correlation when you originally posted.  It seems pretty obvious to me that there should be some correlation to calls/framing.  

But I still don't know how significant the impact is to wins/losses.  Either way.  Nice visual to the discussion.

19 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I commented about the correlation when you originally posted.  It seems pretty obvious to me that there should be some correlation to calls/framing.  

But I still don't know how significant the impact is to wins/losses.  Either way.  Nice visual to the discussion.

Looks like about 25 runs or 2-3 wins between the Orioles and Rangers.  But it looks like about a win separating most teams if you discount 2-3 outliers.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Russell Martin's move to the Pirates, replacing Ryan Doumit was worth, if I remember correctly, about 150 runs, about .23 per 100 pitches. Thats significant.  That makes a real difference in outcomes.

They’ve changed the way they weight the metrics on catcher framing numerous times over the years.   There’s no way I believe changing catchers adds or subtracts 150 runs.   The Pirates allowed 97 fewer runs the year Russell arrived,  but I don’t even accept that all of that was due to the catcher.   Except for Burnett, they had an entirely new rotation the year Martin arrived.   

Fangraphs has Doumit at -16.4, then Martin +16.5 the next year.   A difference of 33 runs.   That, I can believe.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’ve changed the way they weight the metrics on catcher framing numerous times over the years.   There’s no way I believe changing catchers adds or subtracts 150 runs.   The Pirates allowed 97 fewer runs the year Russell arrived,  but I don’t even accept that all of that was due to the catcher.   Except for Burnett, they had an entirely new rotation the year Martin arrived.   

Fangraphs has Doumit at -16.4, then Martin +16.5 the next year.   A difference of 33 runs.   That, I can believe.   

Fangraphs has Doumit at -63 framing runs in 2008.  In about 100 games caught.  That's like taking a league-average pitcher with a 4.00 ERA in 150 innings and replacing him with a pitcher with a 7.80.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I can believe that.  I was trying to remember what I had read in the book about those pirates teams and that was written 5 years ago.