Joey Ortiz 2021

Frobby

8 hours ago, orioles22 said:

As a journalist most of my life, I'm shocked a professional sports team would be so secretive and that journalists at a major paper in Baltimore would not challenge the legality of this approach.

The NFL seems to be very open about injuries - every week of the season. There's no reason to keep secrets from the public that makes professional sports possible.

No they aren’t.  They disclose what they have to and nothing more than that.  Harbaugh never wants to discuss injury.

That being said, you should discuss as little about then as possible at that level fit competitive reasons.

At the MiL level?  There is no competitive advantage to worry about so be up front to everyone.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No they aren’t.  They disclose what they have to and nothing more than that.  Harbaugh never wants to discuss injury.

That being said, you should discuss as little about then as possible at that level fit competitive reasons.

At the MiL level?  There is no competitive advantage to worry about so be up front to everyone.

Yes, Harbaugh doesn't have to say anything. The league puts out a list every week.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but it can be very vague.  It’s not like they are up there telling you everything about the injury.  

I like hockey — all you get is “upper body injury” or “lower body injury.”   Very informative.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like hockey — all you get is “upper body injury” or “lower body injury.”   Very informative.  

Right..these leagues tell you as little as possible.  As CoC said, it’s for betting purposes.

That being said, there is no reason for this on the MiL level.  The team should be more informative than it is being.

The Kjerstad situation is understandable.

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..these leagues tell you as little as possible.  As CoC said, it’s for betting purposes.

That being said, there is no reason for this on the MiL level.  The team should be more informative than it is being.

The Kjerstad situation is understandable.

They should be but I see no reason for MLB to mandate it so I don't expect it to change under this regime.

The good news in all of this is I watch a ton more games on Milb tv now that most teams have a broadcast so it's better for scouting and sometimes the announcers give you clues. 

The bad news is I used to be able to text the farm director to get tidbits about players health timetables and information on goings on within the system, now I get sent to the PR department and they tend to give "No updates".

It's just frustrating but the environment I'm learning to operate in while covering the team for you the fans.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The good news in all of this is I watch a ton more games on Milb tv now that most teams have a broadcast so it's better for scouting and sometimes the announcers give you clues. 

You are much more patient than me. The broadcast quality is so poor at some of the stadiums that I can't even watch it.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

You are much more patient than me. The broadcast quality is so poor at some of the stadiums that I can't even watch it.

Bowie is very hard and frustrating when I go to watch a Ironbird game with them playing at Greenville and they have HD and a center field camera. Aberdeen is quite bad as well which is surprising as I wouldn't think Cal Ripken would want his name behind such a poor broadcast.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Bowie is very hard and frustrating when I go to watch a Ironbird game with them playing at Greenville and they have HD and a center field camera. Aberdeen is quite bad as well which is surprising as I wouldn't think Cal Ripken would want his name behind such a poor broadcast.

Yeah, Bowie is what I was referring to. Brutal.

Matt Blood was on a podcast, On the Verge, which I recommend highly. Blood said, and I am paraphrasing, that he was sad that he was not going to see Ortiz play again this season. And I do not think the hosts caught it. I listened to it again, and he did say it. 

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Matt Blood was on a podcast, On the Verge, which I recommend highly. Blood said, and I am paraphrasing, that he was sad that he was not going to see Ortiz play again this season. And I do not think the hosts caught it. I listened to it again, and he did say it. 

At the 19:15 mark.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

At the 19:15 mark.

Funny, I watched that interview a few days ago and didn’t hear the words “this season.”   Seems odd that a “shoulder strain” on his non-throwing shoulder would keep him out for three months.