Promotions by June 1

Sports Guy

We are currently seeing some guys that are playing at a very high level and you can argue that some (or all) of the players I’m going to list should have started at a higher league anyway.  

Tarrin Vavra:  He is 24 and was drafted out of college.  He has an OPs over 1200 right now.  You could argue he should have started in AAA but if he continues to play at a high level for another few weeks, get him to Norfolk (assuming you don’t try him in the majors at second base)

GRod:  Another guy who could/should have started a level higher.  His ERA is barely above 1, he has 23 Ks in 12 innings and you have to start to wonder how much he is gaining by being in Aberdeen if this keeps up.  He should get another 3 starts in A ball but if this level of performance continues (or something very similar), move him up.  I also like the idea of him being with Hall and especially Rutschman. 

Henderson:  Henderson shouldn’t be in Delmarva and I don’t think he should have ever been there.  He is tearing the cover off the ball and with the log jam of SS at Delmarva, moving him up makes sense to me.  This is actually something I think they should be doing right now but if they want to wait a few weeks, so be it.

Westburg:  Like Henderson, I don’t think he should be in Delmarva. His OpS is over 1000 and while he had warts coming into this season, he is still a mature college player who may need to be challenged more. The issue with moving him up with Henderson is that you still have the logjam issue.  But, I also wouldn’t mind either going to AA.  Henderson performed well at the camp last year, so you can make the argument that he saw that level of competition already.  I would really like to see both of these guys playing SS everyday.  This would also open it up for Servideo to play SS everyday as well.

Who else do you think should be considered for an early promotion?

• Upvote 3

I agree with all of these., though obviously the sample sizes are small for everyone.  I'm very high on Vavra, and if he keeps this up I'd rather see him at second over Jones/Bannon as the first call up.  Of course, I'd rather see Jones/Bannon than whatever it is they have at second now.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

I agree with all of these., though obviously the sample sizes are small for everyone.  I'm very high on Vavra, and if he keeps this up I'd rather see him at second over Jones/Bannon as the first call up.  Of course, I'd rather see Jones/Bannon than whatever it is they have at second now.

SSS for sure but really, the main point is you could argue that none of these guys should have started where they have anyway.  The SSS just re-affirms that belief.

But a lot can also change in a few weeks, so let’s see how they do.  Overall though, a lot would have to happen to change my mind about moving them up.

• Upvote 1

I think all of the 4 you mentioned except for Gunnar, and adding DL Hall, should have started a level higher than they did. I hope all are promoted relatively soon.  Gunnar as well if he continues to hit but I was fine with him starting in low A as a high school kid. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

SSS for sure but really, the main point is you could argue that none of these guys should have started where they have anyway.  The SSS just re-affirms that belief.

But a lot can also change in a few weeks, so let’s see how they do.  Overall though, a lot would have to happen to change my mind about moving them up.

Agreed.  I've been very impressed by the infield bats on the farm thus far, and would like to see them get challenged more.  I think June 1-15 area is a good timeframe to get them up (a month of ABs where they started).  Really really excited for Gunnar at Aberdeen. 

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Tarrin Vavra:  He is 24 and was drafted out of college.  He has an OPs over 1200 right now.  You could argue he should have started in AAA but if he continues to play at a high level for another few weeks, get him to Norfolk (assuming you don’t try him in the majors at second base)

I've never seen him play, but something about his stats and picture reminds me of Brian Roberts.  We should only be so lucky.

It'd be nice if we saw some quick promotions of some guys who were started out lower than they needed to be but if history tell us anything, it's going take two months of dominance before they make promotions.  I think July is more likely to see a flurry of promotions with the minor league season just getting underway this month. We are looking at extremely small sample sizes. 

Johnny Rizer is another one I can see moved up a level soon.  He's 24 years old and dominating Aberdeen. Rizer has done nothing but hit since we drafted him. 

Can’t really argue with any of these on their own merits, but you do then face the question of how you reallocate the playing time to account for these changes.   For example, Joey Ortiz is hitting .295/.404/.458 at Aberdeen.   Good, but not necessarily promotion material at this early stage.    So what do you do with his playing time if Henderson and Westburg are suddenly both in Aberdeen as well?     Adam Hall is off to a slow start there, but are you going to demote him when he already played a full, successful season at Delmarva in 2019?  

These are tricky decisions.   I can’t disagree with the idea that you look at the players who are most likely to be successful major leaguers, and when they are ready to move up a level, you move them up regardless of who else that affects.   But, it does make things more complicated when you’ve got other decent prospects who are going to lose playing time if a promotion is made.   

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Can’t really argue with any of these on their own merits, but you do then face the question of how you reallocate the playing time to account for these changes.   For example, Joey Ortiz is hitting .295/.404/.458 at Aberdeen.   Good, but not necessarily promotion material at this early stage.    So what do you do with his playing time if Henderson and Westburg are suddenly both in Aberdeen as well?     Adam Hall is off to a slow start there, but are you going to demote him when he already played a full, successful season at Delmarva in 2019?  

These are tricky decisions.   I can’t disagree with the idea that you look at the players who are most likely to be successful major leaguers, and when they are ready to move up a level, you move them up regardless of who else that affects.   But, it does make things more complicated when you’ve got other decent prospects who are going to lose playing time if a promotion is made.   

Well, like I said, someone can go to Bowie. Between Henderson, Ortiz or Westburg, we can have someone in AA.  You can argue that either or all of them could be there imo.

But generally speaking, you are correct.

To me, it’s more important for Henderson and Westburg to play as much at SS as they can.  We need to figure out if those guys can stay there.  You should have some very solid idea by the end of the year...and perhaps, they already know but just in case you they don’t, you should be using this year to be sure.

You know guys like Ortiz and Servideo can play SS, at least from the info we have heard.  If they have to play second base or the OF some this year while you figure out Henderson and Westburg, so be it.

I agree with the names being mentioned here. Here’s a not so sexy suggestion....Mason McCoy. Release Ruiz and give McCoy a look at 2B. With Vavra and Jones getting closer to Baltimore, McCoy has a small window to play. I’m not suggesting he’ll turn into a tradeable asset, but he could settle into a utility role and the experience would be good for his development. 

8 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I agree with the names being mentioned here. Here’s an odd suggestion....Mason McCoy. Release Ruiz and give McCoy a look at 2B. With Vavra and Jones getting closer to Baltimore, McCoy has a small window to play. I’m not suggesting he’ll turn into a tradeable asset, but he could settle into a utility role and the experience would be good for his development. 

Is McCoy a good enough shortstop to serve as a utility guy? He has only played one game at short this season with Richie Martin getting the rest of the starts there. If he can't play a passable shortstop, I don't see how he is rosterable at the Major League level. Just doesn't hit for enough power, unless he can maintain every bit of his .282/.346 minor league AVG/OBP line, which figures to drop a bit at the big league level.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Is McCoy a good enough shortstop to serve as a utility guy? He has only played one game at short this season with Richie Martin getting the rest of the starts there. If he can't play a passable shortstop, I don't see how he is rosterable at the Major League level.

I remember 2019 reports from Bowie that his SS defense was pretty solid, but I’ll certainly defer on that. I’m looking at him as a right handed Ryan Flaherty, with less pop but better contact and more speed. 

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Is McCoy a good enough shortstop to serve as a utility guy? He has only played one game at short this season with Richie Martin getting the rest of the starts there. If he can't play a passable shortstop, I don't see how he is rosterable at the Major League level. Just doesn't hit for enough power, unless he can maintain every bit of his .282/.346 minor league AVG/OBP line, which figures to drop a bit at the big league level.

McCoy can play SS on a fill in/utility type role at the major league level but you would not want him there everyday. He reminds me a bit of Bordick before Bordick's power surge made him a major league star.