OPACY at full capacity starting June 1

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's your judgement, which is fine.   But instead of judging those fans, who are a subset of their customer base, the Orioles chose to accommodate them in a way that doesn't significantly affect the rest of us in any way.    That's why I applaud the move.

I don't have a problem with it either, to be honest. To each their own.

I guess I'm not seeing how people can trust experts on everything up until this point but then not trust when they say social distance isn't necessary anymore.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MDK02 said:

I guess I'm not seeing how people can trust experts on everything up until this point but then not trust when they say social distance isn't necessary anymore.

I know a very intelligent person who I used to work with who refuses to fly on an airplane.  Yet he smokes cigarettes.

Human beings are not always 100% rational in our decisions.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Realistically, that could take a while, as the city lags the state by quite a bit.   Right now Baltimore is at 41% compared to 54% for the state.   I’d bet the city doesn’t reach 65% until at least mid-August, if it ever gets there at all. I’ll be surprised if the mask mandate lasts until then if cases keep dropping.    

That 65% number represents the total population available to be vaccinated, (age 12 and over) so their percentages are higher than that but yea it may take a while.  I suspect if the case number keep coming down he will lift them sooner than that and OPACY will follow. This will become a consumer choice as well.  Some won't go until it is lifted.  Knowing the city restaurants require a mask I would more likely go to a county one that does not.  I am vaccinated and went into one Tuesday and it was just like old times.  I think pressure will increase for the City to lift these mandates sooner.

15 minutes ago, KillerTofu said:

Full capacity?! That’s great news!

Yep.   Now we'll have 12,000 or 13,000 fans at most games instead of the 9,000 or so we've been getting.

But they'll be distributed more into better seats!

5 hours ago, MDK02 said:

Take my wife for example.   She’s vaccinated but also immunocompromised due to a rare blood disease she has that required chemo a few years ago.   There’s no conclusive evidence on whether vaccines are fully effective for someone in her situation.   I went to a game the other night but she’s still a bit nervous so she didn’t attend.   I sent her pictures from my seats and when I got home she said she wished she’d gone given how much spacing there was.   So now that the limits are off, it’s back to square one on that and having the option of sitting in a socially distant section might appeal to her.   Honestly, she’s getting more comfortable as the days go by and I think she’ll come with me regardless of where we sit, but it’s nice to know that option exists.  

• Upvote 1

I’m kind of jealous. Where I live only about one-third of the people have gotten one shot, so we’re still in semi-lockdown (and 96% of people here want it, it’s just been slow distributing vaccines in Europe). 15 straight months of this now. My wife is a teacher so she’s one priority group ahead of me, and it may still take 2-3 weeks for her first appointment, mine will hopefully be before the end of June? The first time I can attend a game or a concert again, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s emotional. 

9 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Sticking with only opening an hour before first pitch and not opening additional gates. Seems dumb!

I’m sure cramming everyone through the same gate in a small time frame will be great for social distancing. Of course, no need to worry about full capacity. Unless it’s Yankees or Red Sox

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I’m sure cramming everyone through the same gate in a small time frame will be great for social distancing. Of course, no need to worry about full capacity. Unless it’s Yankees or Red Sox

We have one home series left with each of the Yankees and Red Sox this year.   Both are on weeknights.  In 2019,  three-game weeknight series against those two teams drew 53,000 and 35,000.   So no, you will not need to worry about capacity crowds at those games.   

When you consider the fact that attendance tends to decline every year when the team is losing, that some people are still leery of being out in public, and that the marketing of the team has been almost nil, I think attendance will be abysmal this year despite the lifting of restrictions.   When I say abysmal — I won’t be shocked if they average less than 10,000 per game even after June 1.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Robh21223 said:

I bet you can't even tell. How many are going to pay to see these losers?

It will still look like limited capacity I reckon. I could be wrong.

The fans will be less evenly spaced out.   That’s about it. 

• Upvote 1