I miss the Metrodome

Greenpastures23

20 minutes ago, Greenpastures23 said:

I'm sure Target field is nice. It just looks kinda boring.

Metrodome was so cool with the baggy wall. Plus there wouldn't have been a rain delay.

I have to admit I miss the Metronome too and Target Field is boring. Also don't get why the Twins ballpark isn't at least a retractable dome, but maybe there wasn't enough funds. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I have to admit I miss the Metronome too and Target Field is boring. Also don't get why the Twins ballpark isn't at least a retractable dome, but maybe there wasn't enough funds. 

I mean, if you're going to blackmail Minneapolis into giving you $800M, why not just go for $1B?  Just tell them you have a better offer from Portland or Austin.

I had the same thought while watching the game last night. I got to see the Orioles play the Twins a few years before they tore it down. It was a really fun stadium to visit because it was so unique/weird. I totally understand why they replaced the Twinkie Dome, but it's quirkiness was fun for a visiting fan. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I mean, if you're going to blackmail Minneapolis into giving you $800M, why not just go for $1B?  Just tell them you have a better offer from Portland or Austin.

I thought they would pitch the angle of extra tax revenue for early and late season games because fans could sit in comfy 70 degrees weather under the dome. Plus the argument, "do you want a half empty stadium for the playoffs because it's 30 degrees at the first pitch of a World Series game?".

19 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I had the same thought while watching the game last night. I got to see the Orioles play the Twins a few years before they tore it down. It was a really fun stadium to visit because it was so unique/weird. I totally understand why they replaced the Twinkie Dome, but it's quirkiness was fun for a visiting fan. 

2760002244_0473d77b1a_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenpastures23 said:

I'm sure Target field is nice. It just looks kinda boring.

Metrodome was so cool with the baggy wall. Plus there wouldn't have been a rain delay.

There's a certain lack of creativity inherent in making every ballpark your own city's Camden Yards.  It's why I have an appreciation for SkyDome.  It's unapologetically a giant futuristic space orb with what used to be the tallest freestanding building in the world right next door.

But I wouldn't go so far as getting all nostalgic and weepy for the Metrodome.  I was never there, in part because I chose to go to the St. Paul Saints* game at Midway Park instead.  The Metrodome was a multipurpose sports area with with 1980s turf, seats folded up behind the RF baggie, hockey plexiglass in LF, and a roof the color of baseballs so frequently balls just got lost and would fall in random places in the outfield.  It has to be one of the 10 worst MLB stadiums of the past century.

* when they were still loveable indy league outsiders, rather than the craven sellouts who became the Twins' AAA team.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I thought they would pitch the angle of extra tax revenue for early and late season games because fans could sit in comfy 70 degrees weather under the dome. Plus the argument, "do you want a half empty stadium for the playoffs because it's 30 degrees at the first pitch of a World Series game?".

I think the tax revenue part is almost always disingenuous.  It's just shifting money from one part of the city/state to another.  And if you're from Minnesota and you won't go to a playoff game because it's a little chilly don't people laugh at you?

Domes and retractable domes are like SUVs.  They don't look good, they're expensive, and huge.  They're aesthetically blah, can never have that classic look.  But they're somewhat more functional.  The Metrodome was the stadium equivalent of buying a RAV4 instead of a Supra.  Soulless, joy-less, but slightly more functional.

• Upvote 1

Cal picked up his 3,000th hit there too. I was lucky enough to see two games in the Metrodome, even got Cal's autograph there before his 2001st consecutive game.

"There will be NO SMOKING in the METRODOME, TONIGHT!" the pa would announce before every game. 

Edited by fansince1988

Just now, fansince1988 said:

I was lucky enough to see two games in the Metrodome, even got Cal's autograph there before his 2001st consecutive game. "There will be NO SMOKING in the METRODOME, TONIGHT!" the pa would announce before every game. 

That Metrodome PA announcer was a big part of the nostalgia for me.  Intros to Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek were legendary.  Kirby Puckett was easily my favorite non-Orioles player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There's a certain lack of creativity inherent in making every ballpark your own city's Camden Yards.  It's why I have an appreciation for SkyDome.  It's unapologetically a giant futuristic space orb with what used to be the tallest freestanding building in the world right next door.

SkyDome opened in '89 and it looked like the future.

OPACY opened three years later and immediately rendered the SkyDome as part of the past.  I always thought it was funny how that worked.

• Upvote 2