When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

Frobby

When should the O’s call up Rutschman?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

• Now - he’s as ready as he needs to be and will benefit from the experience
    • Later this summer if he continues to do well in AA
    • He should get promoted to AAA soon and get called up later if he does well there
    • September call-up, only if he keeps doing well
    • Opening Day 2022
    • Not until service time deadline for free agency passes in 2022
    • Not until Super-2 status is likely passed in 2022

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/21 at 01:11

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I've said this many times, but the #1 overall pick is expected to be a HOFer, but the median value of a #1 overall is about 15 WAR, or roughly the career of Matt Wieters or Ben McDonald.  You expect dominance, but usually get a good MLBer.  There have been many more #1s who gave their teams no value at all than there have been deserving HOFers.

And it goes down hill after 1-1.  For example, a lot of folks consider Kevin Gausman to be an underwhelming pick at 1-4.  However, he has the  third highest cumulative WAR (15.1) for a 1-4 over the last 25 years.  Only Ryan Zimmerman (40.0) and Gavin Floyd (15.7) are ahead, and Gausman will almost certainly pass Floyd this season.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?draft_type=junreg&overall_pick=4&query_type=overall_pick

Edited by jdwilde1
Typo

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

I am not sure what you mean when you ask about hoping for lightning to strike.  He is almost 26, hits decent for a catcher while getting on base at around a .400 clip and doesnt hurt you defensively.  I think it is time to see what we have with him and give him MLB reps.  He is better behind the plate than Severino(not hard) and probably as good offensively as well.  Severino was always much younger in the minors, but never had the numbers Cumberland has had.  There has to be a point in which these guys get reps to see what the Os have.  If you dont give him reps now, he will never get regular playing time in Baltimore when Adley comes up. 

If you would like to expand on the lightning to strike comment, maybe I could expand on my thoughts more directly to answer unless I have it covered above.

I mean you are hoping that Cumberland becomes something that he doesn't appear to be able to become.

Every now and then a guy gets to the majors and takes off.

I've never seen Cumberland play but from what I've read I don't expect his defense to be an improvement over Severino.  I've read previously that he might have to move off of catcher.

I don't want to watch Severino catch any more games for the Orioles but if we replace him I'd rather have a glove up that is a total loss with the bat then a guy that is likely to be below average in all aspects of the game.

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Rutschman is a better option right now than Severino, Wynns or Chance, however I would rather not start the service time right now.  I would like it if he continues like he currently is, AAA after the AS break and then called up next year after the time to gain an extra year of service.  I would call up Cumberland, trade Severino, move Rutschman to AAA and Maverick Handley to AA all on the same day by the trade deadline.  Handley is about as good as it gets defensively, gets on base at almost a .350 clip, steals bases, smart, and I am hoping at AA where he gets pitchers with more control that he will raise his average a bit.  

I don't see any down side to this reasoning. Cumberland's going to be 26 in a month, and we're really just looking to see if he can be Rutschman's backup down the road. I've never seen a catcher as bad with the glove as Severino, and while I'd love to trade him, I'm not sure what the market would be. I'd take anything.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, Gentile4 said:

Can I just point out that Rutschman has caught all of 280 innings in the minors and is a career .258 hitter. Yes, he does walk a lot, and that's not a small thing, but he's yet to really put together any dominant hitting streaks. At 22, Mountcastle hit 35 doubles and 25 HR's at AAA. Let's see AR do something similar.

Mountcastle’s wRC+ was 117 that year which is good but not anything special for a 1B/LF.  Adley’s wRC+ is 160 which is amazing for any position, especially a catcher. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

After watching Severino being so bad behind the plate again today,  I'm tempted to change my mind and say bring him up now and cut Severino.  I'm so tired of seeing him fumble and bumble around back there.   

I was thinking the same thing.  He is far and away the best offensive and defensive option at catcher.  If Severino or anyone else hit and you put up with the defense that is one thing but that just isn't the case.  Pitchers are human and if they are afraid to throw a breaking ball because they have no confidence that it will be caught if it is in the dirt they are less likely to throw it whether it is the best pitch to throw.  Jim Palmer basically says the same thing during the games.  Maybe Akin, Lopez, Zimmerman, and Kremer will be better pitchers with Adley behind the plate. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sevastras said:

I am not sure what you mean when you ask about hoping for lightning to strike.  He is almost 26, hits decent for a catcher while getting on base at around a .400 clip and doesnt hurt you defensively.  

I can't say I've seen him play but his reputation is defensively challenged. I personally would be happy to see more of Wynns. Maybe one day Cumberland could turn into a Caleb Joseph type but we're not obligated to give him a chance.