Next man up on 2nd base carousel.

bpilktree

Wilkerson is not the answer which we knew but if you are not hitting you better field great.  I don’t care to keep trying guys like Rio, Wilkerson, or Valika that have no upside and have been given countless opportunities.  Let McCoy Jones or Lebya a chance put one at second give him 50 games to see how they do.  If they fail give the next guy a chance for the final 50 games.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can any of the above show anything that makes you think they are the answer when the team is next competitive?

You don’t need a star at every position.  Look at every team and they have a position or two where they get nothing great for them.  The Red Sox have 3 pretty much full time starters that have 150+ at bats already.  Two of them are hitting under .200 and other hitting .219.  Their on base is not much better.  The Yankees picked up Urshela who was pretty much a garbage bin pickup and he turned into a piece with them.    If you get decent pitching have good offensive at most the positions you just need a guy that can make plays in field get a hit here and their so yes I think one of them has better chance to help a competitive team then the three guys we have sent out their this year.  What did John Means show in the minors that made you say yeah he will be a piece of a competitive team?  

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

You don’t need a star at every position.  Look at every team and they have a position or two where they get nothing great for them.  The Red Sox have 3 pretty much full time starters that have 150+ at bats already.  Two of them are hitting under .200 and other hitting .219.  Their on base is not much better.  The Yankees picked up Urshela who was pretty much a garbage bin pickup and he turned into a piece with them.    If you get decent pitching have good offensive at most the positions you just need a guy that can make plays in field get a hit here and their so yes I think one of them has better chance to help a competitive team then the three guys we have sent out their this year.  What did John Means show in the minors that made you say yeah he will be a piece of a competitive team?  

I didn't say star.

I'm not certain any of the group you listed can put out a season above replacement level.

I didnt watch todays game, but Wilkerson is at least solid with the glove at 2B, something Jones is said not to be. McCoy's bat likely wont be any better than what we've seen here anyway. Ortiz and Grenier are still a year away at least. Vavra probably is too. Those three could possibly be mid season call ups next year.  I wouldnt be opposed to seeing that infield. 

Lebya is a career .290 hitter and .367 obp in his minor league career.  He does not have a strong arm so is stuck at 2nd and the Diamondbacks had Marte so he didn’t have a spot.  If he came up through our system we would be praising his numbers and be screaming he was a piece for the future.  He has hit everywhere but never given chance at the majors for a period of time.  Long run we have other guys that can be more solid piece of the future teams long term like Westerburg, Harinez but he could hold fort down til they are ready.  The Dodgers did that at second base the last few years waiting for Lux to take over.  

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Lebya is a career .290 hitter and .367 obp in his minor league career.  He does not have a strong arm so is stuck at 2nd and the Diamondbacks had Marte so he didn’t have a spot.  If he came up through our system we would be praising his numbers and be screaming he was a piece for the future.  He has hit everywhere but never given chance at the majors for a period of time.  Long run we have other guys that can be more solid piece of the future teams long term like Westerburg, Harinez but he could hold fort down til they are ready.  The Dodgers did that at second base the last few years waiting for Lux to take over.  

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

His 2019 AAA Reno 300/351/519 was a 92 in the Baseball Prospectus book's DRC+, which is basically their flavor of OPS+

Mountcastle's 2019 AAA Norfolk 312/344/527 was a 114.

That said, I have no qualms whatsoever about giving him some reps at Wilkerson or Valaika's expense this month.

Have to watch out for those park adjustments. 

A 92 at AAA doesn't scream piece of the future.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have to watch out for those park adjustments. 

A 92 at AAA doesn't scream piece of the future.

Your right keep throwing out Wilkerson, Valika Urias and Rio Ruiz.  Don’t give any these guys a chance that should help us in future.  He might not make it and none of them might but we sure won’t know have Wilkerson, Valika, and Ruiz playing in the majors.  

He hasn’t played every year in PCL either.  He hit at 21 in low A ball at 18.  He hit in A and AA as a 20 year old.  He has 2500 career at bats in minor leagues and about a 5th of those in PCL so he had to hit pretty good thought his rise up minors.  

Mountcastle is probably a top 10 prospect hitter if just looking at offense numbers  in all of baseball so comparing the two is stupid.  

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Your right keep throwing out Wilkerson, Valika Urias and Rio Ruiz.  Don’t give any these guys a chance that should help us in future.  He might not make it and none of them might but we sure won’t know have Wilkerson, Valika, and Ruiz playing in the majors.  

He hasn’t played every year in PCL either.  He hit at 21 in low A ball at 18.  He hit in A and AA as a 20 year old.  He has 2500 career at bats in minor leagues and about a 5th of those in PCL so he had to hit pretty good thought his rise up minors.  

Mountcastle is probably a top 10 prospect hitter if just looking at offense numbers  in all of baseball so comparing the two is stupid.  

I don't have an issue with switching out the chairs on the Titanic.  But I don't think you are going to find a Coup De Ville in the bottom of a Cracker Jack Box.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Leyla is a career .149 MLB hitter. Lots of guys hit in the minors and can’t in the majors. The only person blocking him is him. He’s a nobody.

Wilkerson made an error today but has been playing well over all. He is worth 2 OAA so far, whereas Mr Galvis is minus 5, so let’s not call for Stevie’s head just yet.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Leyla is a career .149 MLB hitter. Lots of guys hit in the minors and can’t in the majors. The only person blocking him is him. He’s a nobody.

Wilkerson made an error today but has been playing well over all. He is worth 2 OAA so far, whereas Mr Galvis is minus 5, so let’s not call for Stevie’s head just yet.

Yeah, in like 60 at bats over two seasons. Might want to give him a little more of a chance before we decide he can't hit in the majors (although I doubt his abilities, too)

10 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, in like 60 at bats over two seasons. Might want to give him a little more of a chance before we decide he can't hit in the majors (although I doubt his abilities, too)

Oh I agree totally, im just saying that he hasn’t shown anything yet, and no reason to get too enthusiastic.