Anthony Santander (2019-2021)

jdwilde1

31 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

With today's game, Anthony Santander will have played in 162 games over the last three seasons.  For a rule-5 pick, he has put together a tremendous stat-line (see the 77 extra base hits below).  In total, he has a cumulative WAR of 3.4.  His defense has been better than expected and he has a legitimate arm for right field.  Also, for his career he has been remarkably similar from the left and right sides of the plate, hitting exactly .252 and OPSing .749 from each side.  On the downside, he does not have great on-base skills and has struggled staying on the field.  He is 26, is arbitration eligible in 2022, and his earliest free agency is 2025.  So, where does he fit in going forward?  At this point he has established himself as a legitimate major league starter and can be an asset to a winning team.  Do you think the O's should keep him if they expect to be competitive in '23 and '24?  If not, what type of return could the O's expect if they deal him in the next year?  (And I understand that everyone on the roster should be available for the right deal, so if you think he should be traded please indicate what you would generally want to receive in return).

Anthony Santander Batting Stats for Years 2019 to 2021

Year Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2019-2021 BAL 161 694 647 80 168 41 2 34 103 1 3 33 141 .260 .299 .487 .786 108 315 4 6 2 6 3

Remember another Rule 5 pick by the O's, Jose Bautista - never OPS'd more than .757 until age 29 - when he exploded with a .995.  It wouldn't shock me if Santander reaches .900, but - like Hays - he's got to show he can stay healthy.  

1 hour ago, jdwilde1 said:

Anthony Santander will have played in 162 games over the last three seasons

“Over the last three seasons.”

I love the guy, and I am inclined to think he’s one of the best things Dan ever did, but that phrase would give most general managers pause when discussing trades. 

Santander just needs to stay healthy and pup up these numbers for the rest of the year. Then there will be more of a market for him.   The argument to trade him is that we need as many bullets as possible for a window starting in 2023. So if we could get back a high ceiling position player and SP, then that would be nice. 

51 minutes ago, Philip said:

“Over the last three seasons.”

I love the guy, and I am inclined to think he’s one of the best things Dan ever did, but that phrase would give most general managers pause when discussing trades. 

I mean...last season we were in a pandemic.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I mean...last season we were in a pandemic.

Yes, I understand that but he was even injured last year. Please don’t misunderstand I love the guy, but if I’m the guy on the other side of the table in trade talks, that’s the first thing I’m going to say, and it’s probably the one thing that can’t be rebutted.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Remember another Rule 5 pick by the O's, Jose Bautista - never OPS'd more than .757 until age 29 - when he exploded with a .995.  It wouldn't shock me if Santander reaches .900, but - like Hays - he's got to show he can stay healthy.  

Let's hope it doesn't take Santander that long or the need to take the magic B-12 shots.

Saying that, Santander needs to prove he can play and produce over one full season without being injured before his value skyrockets. His lack of plate discipline this year has been disappointing after his spring where he walked a bunch.

18 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

When I first saw this thread title I thought something terrible happened.

Baby Santander’s  offensive numbers for his newborn through toddler seasons were promising, and then tragedy struck. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

With today's game, Anthony Santander will have played in 162 games over the last three seasons.  For a rule-5 pick, he has put together a tremendous stat-line (see the 77 extra base hits below).  In total, he has a cumulative WAR of 3.4.  His defense has been better than expected and he has a legitimate arm for right field.  Also, for his career he has been remarkably similar from the left and right sides of the plate, hitting exactly .252 and OPSing .749 from each side.  On the downside, he does not have great on-base skills and has struggled staying on the field.  He is 26, is arbitration eligible in 2022, and his earliest free agency is 2025.  So, where does he fit in going forward?  At this point he has established himself as a legitimate major league starter and can be an asset to a winning team.  Do you think the O's should keep him if they expect to be competitive in '23 and '24?  If not, what type of return could the O's expect if they deal him in the next year?  (And I understand that everyone on the roster should be available for the right deal, so if you think he should be traded please indicate what you would generally want to receive in return).

Year Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2019-2021 BAL 161 694 647 80 168 41 2 34 103 1 3 33 141 .260 .299 .487 .786 108 315 4 6 2 6 3

Thanks for posting this interval. Minor Q: How can he be hitting an identical .252 BA/.749 OPS from each side, as you state, but .260/.786 overall?

56 minutes ago, LA2 said:
8 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Thanks for posting this interval. Minor Q: How can he be hitting an identical .252 BA/.749 OPS from each side, as you state, but .260/.786 overall?

Because the .252/.749 are his career splits, not just the last three years.  Baseballreference.com only provides single season or career splits and I was not motivated enough to add up his splits from 2019-2021.  With that said, I was worried it would be a bit confusing since the topic is on Santander's 2019-2021 performance and then I tossed in some career stats. 

• Upvote 1

After an awful April, where he OPS'd .551 in 16 games, Santander OPS'd .924 in 11 games in May, and .973 so far in 6 June games, so it's taken a while, and we don't know if he'll stay healthy, but we can see the talent there.  If he can stay healthy enough to get 500 plus plate appearances, that would go a ways toward giving the O's some faith in depending on him to stay healthy in the future.  And it'd be nice to see what he can accomplish while staying healthy.