Best Outfield in Baseball?

SteveA

On 6/8/2021 at 7:09 PM, Matt Bennett said:

Haha 

Cedric Mullins: 2.7 WAR

Orioles OF: 2.5 WAR 

From the same table, aside from Mullins (2.1) giving Baltimore 1st place in CF, Oriole LF (0.4) is 5th in MLB and RF (0.1) 12th (but for RF, consider how recently Santander--already at 0.4--has returned). And so SteveA's point is not at all ludicrous. It's at 1st base, 2nd base, DH, and Catcher that we are in negative territory among the non-pitching positions.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Hays just made two very strong throws in two innings vs. Tampa.

WHEN Hays, Mullins, and Santander are playing, we might already have the best defensive outfield in baseball.

When that outfield manages to play 135 games a season together is when I follow the O's on a daily basis again.

Mullins' breakout and DJ Stewart holding serve really jams up Diaz.

Offseason I was anxious for Diaz/Hays/Santander 1st string with Mullins/Stewart backups.    Hays' LF case isn't as good as Mullins' CF, but I've seen enough I'm curious to see him in near everyday reps if he can take it.

Hays/Mullins/Santander with Stewart as primary reserve....I guess this is what the MLB roster getting tough to crack for a medium good prospect starts to look like.

I hope we hold Mancini to compete in 2022, but I feel zero immediacy to get his name on any kind of extension.   It could be a tough roster for him to make by 2023 if one of 3 things happen:

-Stewart can grow anymore (2023 = Age 29 Arb1 Stewart v. Age 31 FA Mancini)

-Player Development can get something from Diaz or one of the other DH/OF's bubbling up behind him.    Dorrian?

-Kjerstad in time proves to be about what Elias thought he was.

Any of those three could give a MLB-minimum DH to use $$$ at other positions if RMC/Hays/Mullins/Santander can hold the 1B/OF jobs.

I hope we don't sell any of the above for more future Wins, but hope the situation is right for one of them to anchor a deal for present Wins in the not too distant future.    Somebody has to be Joe Musgrove or Daz Cameron, even if you can leverage depth to package three or four pieces for your nugget.