Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

Nice to see Kyle get off the schneid with his first home run at Norfolk tonight.

What's not so nice is to see Durham's Shane Baz strike out 10 with only 1 ER allowed in 6 innings.  He's the third piece that the Rays got in the infamous Chris Archer trade.  He's only 22 years old and dominating in AAA--as if the Rays need more great young pitchers.  

11 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm pessimistic about Stowers, just from scouting the stat line.

There aren't a lot of guys who strike out ~30% of the time in the minors and end up successful big league hitters.

Joey Gallo is the only one I can think of, and he has 80 grade power (which Stowers does not).

Can anyone think of any others?

The game is a lot different from when Gallo was in the minors.

A 30 percent strikeout rate raises an eyebrow, but when it is paired with a 15 percent walk rate, it isn't necessarily a huge problem. If he has a good batting eye, and still gets on base, there is nothing wrong with strikeouts being a part of his game. 

Stowers has hit for a higher average this year than Gallo did in the minors.

If there is a hole in his swing or something that can be attacked by pitchers, that is a separate issue, but that stat line in and of itself isn't scary for me, it is just indicative of the way that many successful hitters approach hitting in the modern game.

As far as a list of players, I can't provide one, but with strikeout and walk rates increasing as they have over the last 5 years, my guess is that soon enough there will be many successful MLB players that had minor league stat lines that look like Stowers' (hopefully including Stowers!).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

One of the things that I like about him is that he's been consistent all season. And he hits lefties and righties well. Other than Mussina and Hammonds, have we had any other Stanford guys?

Per Baseball Reference, Jeff Ballard, Pete Stanicek and someone named Brian Sackinsky, among draftees.

Among non-draftees, the most notable Orioles that were Cardinals are Jeremy Guthrie and Rick Helling.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I understand why he's not getting more attention as a prospect.  But IMO, it's a bit silly.  Not sure why he's not more highly regarded.  How many minor leaguers are having a season like he is?

When is the last time the O's have had a minor league prospect show this kind of power?