How do you feel our Rebuild is going? Grade the rebuild effort:

DocJJ

2 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

It is hard, but I am really grading off the infrastructure improvements, as well as getting into Latin America.  

I do think the talent is close to arriving.  I think this off-season we could see the team make a landmark FA signing, like the Nats with Jayson Werth or the Cubs with Jon Lester.  A move to bring veteran leadership in, to signify that it is time to begin competing again.  That could also be for the 2022 off-season, they could elect for another year of development.  

Either way, we’re getting closer, even though the results on the field are still terrible.  The thing about this rebuild versus others………I feel we are doing it the right, sustainable way.  We need a talent pipeline, and Elias is building that.  

I agree.  The next year is key.  Does Elias finally start signing some of the top international talent?  Is some of the young talent signed to extensions or a free agent signing to show the fans the O's are serious about putting a competitive team on the field.

So far I give the rebuild an A-.  The only things I can dock Elias for are the Kjerstad pick, seemed like an overdraft and you never exchange a #2 pick for higher talent in the 2nd round or later.  We might never know how good Kjerstad would be w/o the myocarditis.  Also, I have to dock Elias for not protecting Pop.  I would rather have Pop than either of the O's 2 rule 5 picks.  The O's prospects are raving about the analytical system the O's have in place.  It seems a huge step up from the previous system.  Even some lightly regarded prospects are making measurable progress.

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree.  The next year is key.  Does Elias finally start signing some of the top international talent?  Is some of the young talent signed to extensions or a free agent signing to show the fans the O's are serious about putting a competitive team on the field.

So far I give the rebuild an A-.  The only things I can dock Elias for are the Kjerstad pick, seemed like an overdraft and you never exchange a #2 pick for higher talent in the 2nd round or later.  We might never know how good Kjerstad would be w/o the myocarditis.  Also, I have to dock Elias for not protecting Pop.  I would rather have Pop than either of the O's 2 rule 5 picks.  The O's prospects are raving about the analytical system the O's have in place.  It seems a huge step up from the previous system.  Even some lightly regarded prospects are making measurable progress.

Hernandez has actually been pretty well-regarded.  I know it’s just fantasy baseball, but he’s appeared on at least two top lists from Prospects Live and Fantrax, both inside the 250 range, which is impressive given how far out he is.  I think nailing two guys from the top 30 this past signing period is huge considering we had nothing going for us two years ago.  

The Pop one is definitely a mark against Elias.  A reliever prospect with a legit out pitch was going to get taken, even coming off Tommy John.  Pop is the type of player who can be hidden on the 26 man roster and get him through the season.  Hell, dig into his peripherals beyond ERA……….if the Marlins sell off their bullpen pieces at the deadline, Pop is going to get high leverage innings, and might even close.  

• Like 1

This year has been tough at the MLB level because guys haven’t really produced and earned anything. There are still lots of question marks going forward. 

Post June 1 2022

Means, Rodriguez, Hall, ?, ?

Harvey, Scott, Fry, Sulser, Tate, Wells, ?, ?

Catcher: Adley

1B Mountcastle 

2B Jones, Vavra, Leyba, ?

3B ?

SS ?

LF Hays

CF Mullins

RF Santander

DH Stewart

Mckenna, Diaz, IF?, C?

The real question seems to be more like do we stay the course with Elias or change gears?  Clearly the OP thinks he's failing.  I don't agree.  With the farm system improving, the use of analytics, and other changes, we've yet to see on-field improvement, true; but changing course despite infrastructure improvements, would set us back further.  I think we'd all agree that the system was a total mess when he started.  We need to get a lot of the prospects involved at the ML level before casting off Elias.  I think the manager and coaches are more likely to change before or in conjunction with the younger guys coming up. 

Verdict: B

I don't think anyone on this team is necessarily part of the future if Elias thinks he can make an upgrade by trading.  I'll continue to trust his guidance given how highly rated the farm has become since he began.  I just wanna see those guys who are expected to be MLB quality to hit the field before I say Elias is a complete success or failure.

How is it going?  Slow - very slow.  At this point, I would have hoped to have seen some young guys ready to move up contribute at the major league level.  That hasn't happened.  

I do think there is hope for Lopez and Zimmerman developing into good pitchers in the rotation going forward.  There is "stuff" there to work with - just need some consistency.  Bring up Rodriguez and Hall to join them with a healthy Means, and that could be a solid rotation.  There will be bumps along the way as they learn how to pitch, but they could be solid.