Moves I would like to see between now and July 31

Sports Guy

33 minutes ago, vab said:

You probably wanted to get rid of that young OF'er they had a couple of years ago who went 6 for 64 and got sent down to double A. Name was Mullins I think. Or that kid a few years ago who was hitting .216 at the all star break of his third season. I think his name was Mancini. Now am I saying DJ is going to turn into Mullins or Mancini? Highly unlikely but you never know. This is the time to find out - keep running him out there and see what happens. 

No, you …um… you. I’ve always liked Mullins’ defense. I’ve always hated Mancini’s defense in the OF and so do you, if you’ve been watching. God be praised, he’s now a positive value 1B instead of a disastrous OF, and Mountcastle too, is an adequate 1B, instead of a minus -6 LF.

I initially disliked Stewart because he appeared to be a buffoon on defense, but this season he showed some signs of ability in the OF, and Baseball Savant agreed he was about average. His defense has deteriorated. He is now -2 OAA, so I’m sour on him again.

So yeah, he’s had his audition, and time to send him on his way.

35 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

.727 OPS, 0.9 WAR.... I think he'll get you more than a PTBNL or cash.  I would think similar to what Iglesias got the O's over the offseason - a high teens/20s prospect and a lotto ticket. 

Iglesias offered top-quality defense, and was traded in the offseason. No one is going to have an urgent need for a terrible SS, even if he’s hitting well. If they need a SS for a Play-off Push, they probably want defense first because they wouldn’t be in contention unless they already had sufficient offense.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I can’t comment on everything you’ve shared, although I’m grateful for your effort, but I must stress that Galvis is at the moment the worst defensive SS in baseball. He might be available for a PTBNL or Cash Considerations, but nobody is going to give anything meaningful for him. Any good team is going to have a better SS in their high minors, and if they need a SS, why in gods name would they want Galvis? And mediocre or worse teams don’t want him.

No disagreement on your DFA suggestions, except I think Severino is also going away. He’s just too bad, and doesn’t hit well enough to compensate.

Urias is yesterday’s news, if he was ever news at all. He’s not going anywhere but away.

You could be right but Elias traded Villar  and his 8m salary (projected to be 10m at the time) to the Marlins for Easton Lucas.   Most people thought that was nothing at the time.  Elias trade Cashner for two Dominican rookies.   Galvis is on track for 20 homers and .250 average and some team may want him as a utility infielder.  If there is a deal out there, no matter how small, Elias will probably find it.

I think Severino is a non tender after the season.   Someone has to catch.

If Galvis is traded someone has to play SS for the rest of the year.  Valaika/Uriaz/Leyba are the choices I see.  Take your pick.

33 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Don't even pay attention, it's part of Philip's shtick.   A month ago or so he said he'd like to trade Mountcastle but it was impossible because he "has no trade value"!

I do focus on defense, but I was unaware how far away Hanley was. I still want to trade Mountcastle and he still doesn’t have much trade value, but he’s settling in ok at 1B, and I’d rather get rid of Stewart.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Adley is not coming up but I’d love to see Cumberland or Hanley, whichever is the better defender.

Handley (not Hanley) is supposed to be a much better defender than Cumberland, but he’s only playing high A with an OPS of .645. He was drafted the same year as Adley.   There is no way you could justify, based on performance and ability, bringing him to the majors and leaving Adley down.   That would be Exhibit A in the Union case saying that Adley was kept down in bad faith.    

Cumberland is known as an offense-first catcher.    He might not be as bad as Severino or Sisco defensively, but we’d have to see him to find out and I wouldn’t get my hopes real high.    If he comes up, it’s to improve the offense at catcher, not the defense. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Handley (not Hanley) is supposed to be a much better defender than Cumberland, but he’s only playing high A with an OPS of .645. He was drafted the same year as Adley.   There is no way you could justify, based on performance and ability, bringing him to the majors and leaving Adley down.   That would be Exhibit A in the Union case saying that Adley was kept down in bad faith.    

Cumberland is known as an offense-first catcher.    He might not be as bad as Severino or Sisco defensively, but we’d have to see him to find out and I wouldn’t get my hopes real high.    If he comes up, it’s to improve the offense at catcher, not the defense. 

From what I have  read he is a DH who can catch some.

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You could be right but Elias traded Villar  and his 8m salary (projected to be 10m at the time) to the Marlins for Easton Lucas.   Most people thought that was nothing at the time.  Elias trade Cashner for two Dominican rookies.   Galvis is on track for 20 homers and .250 average and some team may want him as a utility infielder.  If there is a deal out there, no matter how small, Elias will probably find it.

I think Severino is a non tender after the season.   Someone has to catch.

If Galvis is traded someone has to play SS for the rest of the year.  Valaika/Uriaz/Leyba are the choices I see.  Take your pick.

Galvis offers scant value to a potential playoff team. Anybody trading for a shortstop is going to want someone with better defense. I don’t doubt for a second that Mike will take any deal that he thinks it’s worthwhile, but remember that Villar was an off-season transaction and Mike tried unsuccessfully during the season to trade him.

Regarding a replacement at SS, we haven’t tried Lebya so sure throw him out there.

Edited by Philip

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, you must’ve missed the comment where I was corrected on him. I thought he was farther along both in level and in experience and I was mistaken.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Brewers were already one of the top suitors for Mancini but now one of their first basemen is on he DL.

They did bring up Huira, so if he starts hitting again, they may not need Mancini but for now, that is a big need for them.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/06/brewers-place-daniel-vogelbach-on-il-recall-keston-hiura.html

If you take the Hosmer contract back you could get a ton for Mancini from the Padres. 

One of the better defensive SS's in baseball is playing in AAA and OPSing over .900 with 11 homers.  Seem like Orlando Arcia - still just 26 - with plenty of ML experience - would be a good target for Baltimore - might be able to get him even up for Mancini.  Can't be a free agent till 2023 - same as Mancini, but Trey is 3 years older.  Atlanta is desperate for a middle of the lineup hitter.    

29 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

One of the better defensive SS's in baseball is playing in AAA and OPSing over .900 with 11 homers.  Seem like Orlando Arcia - still just 26 - with plenty of ML experience - would be a good target for Baltimore - might be able to get him even up for Mancini.  Can't be a free agent till 2023 - same as Mancini, but Trey is 3 years older.  Atlanta is desperate for a middle of the lineup hitter.    

Strongly Meh on this idea.  What is the best case scenario of this trade? Arcia hits well and the Orioles can't afford him or won't pay him in two years.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, Philip said:

I can’t comment on everything you’ve shared, although I’m grateful for your effort, but I must stress that Galvis is at the moment the worst defensive SS in baseball. He might be available for a PTBNL or Cash Considerations, but nobody is going to give anything meaningful for him. Any good team is going to have a better SS in their high minors, and if they need a SS, why in gods name would they want Galvis? And mediocre or worse teams don’t want him.

Hmm, thats funny FanGraphs has him ranked as the 5th best defensive SS in baseball...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

26 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Galvis has been one of the few bright spots on the team this year and now he’s out for the next 1 to 2 months. Also not that he would have netted a great return in a trade, but any trade is off the table now with his injury.