Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Mancini will be the one to watch. Means obviously is hurt. I don’t see Mullins getting dealt. Santander has little value right now. 

Exactly what I was going to say, although I don’t think Mancini has as much value as a lot of people think. Maybe if you package him with Stewart as a throwin…

By the way, let me stress that I’m not suggesting that we throw in Stewart because he has a lot of value himself, but I still think he has enough potential that a team might be interested in him.

Edited by Philip

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

Exactly what I was going to say, although I don’t think Mancini has as much value as a lot of people think. Maybe if you package him with Stewart as a throwin…

By the way, let me stress that I’m not suggesting that we throw in Stewart because he has a lot of value himself, but I still think he has enough potential that a team might be interested in him.

I don't see Stewart having much of a market as a 27 years old DH with a 99 OPS+ in 491 career plate appearances. 

• Upvote 1

The Orioles just announced that Saturday, August 21 will be a new giveaway -- John Means Business Bobblehead night.   The bobblehead has Means pitching off a mound but in a business suit.

Does this mean it is less likely we will be dealing him?

1 hour ago, Philip said:

If you think Stewart has potential we ought to be interested in him. I, for one, still am. Guys like Mancini and Mullins struggled mightily and look at them now. No reason not to give Stewart the same shot right now. 

3 minutes ago, vab said:

If you think Stewart has potential we ought to be interested in him. I, for one, still am. Guys like Mancini and Mullins struggled mightily and look at them now. No reason not to give Stewart the same shot right now. 

If anything I could see teams asking about Hays with Mancini in a trade. Hays has a lot more potential if he's ever able to stay healthy. Stewart is a DH/platoon type that would have been a great role player back in Earl Weaver's day. 

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles just announced that Saturday, August 21 will be a new giveaway -- John Means Business Bobblehead night.   The bobblehead has Means pitching off a mound but in a business suit.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/03/27/bobbleheads-came-out-after-trade

Maybe less likely however never guaranteed.

52 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't see Stewart having much of a market as a 27 years old DH with a 99 OPS+ in 491 career plate appearances. 

Oh I agree, but there is a difference between what he has done, and what a team thinks he might be able to do. As I said, I was initially down on him, then I was encouraged, now I am down again. I don’t think he has any value by himself, but as a sweetener I think he could help close a deal, If the other team thinks that they can fix his problems.

29 minutes ago, vab said:

I was never down on Mullins. Even as a fourth outfielder he was a valuable asset, and I am overjoyed that he has turned into a first outfielder.

Mancini has always hit pretty well, but I never thought he was extremely valuable because he is defensively limited. I do think he is the most likely trade piece, but he won’t bring back much because of his health issues, and mostly AL teams are potentially interested, unless someone really needs another 1B.

We ARE giving Stewart a shot, an extended one, and he’s not doing very well. I’m not urgently wanting to get rid of him, and there’s several guys, like Severino and Valiaka,  I’d prefer to dump first, but if the opportunity arises to move him, I’d sure look hard at the offer.

30 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If anything I could see teams asking about Hays with Mancini in a trade. Hays has a lot more potential if he's ever able to stay healthy. Stewart is a DH/platoon type that would have been a great role player back in Earl Weaver's day. 

I don’t know how much 1B experience Stewart has, but a DH/1B platoon of Mc and Stewart has possibilities, if they can start hitting.

I think the best way for Hays to never suffer another injury again is to get traded. Once he puts on that new Uni, he will be indestructible.

19 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

My hunch is a package of Mancini and either Fry or Scott will go for a decent young infielder who's blocked and an ok prospect.    

Would love to trade Scott, but I doubt he will be. Fry is much more likely, and I will miss him.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Oh I agree, but there is a difference between what he has done, and what a team thinks he might be able to do. As I said, I was initially down on him, then I was encouraged, now I am down again. I don’t think he has any value by himself, but as a sweetener I think he could help close a deal, If the other team thinks that they can fix his problems.

Yeah, I can see that. But, it feels like being packaged with Mancini that Stewart is less attractive because they are both 1B/DH types. 

Also I'm holding out hope that Stewart can be a useful DH/1B if Mancini gets traded. 

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah, I can see that. But, it feels like being packaged with Mancini that Stewart is less attractive because they are both 1B/DH types. 

Also I'm holding out hope that Stewart can be a useful DH/1B if Mancini gets traded. 

Well if one is traded the other one will not be, but I wasn’t necessarily suggesting that Mancini and Stewart be packaged together. Maybe Stewart and Fry?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Easy one. The answer is No.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well if one is traded the other one will not be, but I wasn’t necessarily suggesting that Mancini and Stewart be packaged together. Maybe Stewart and Fry?

I think that's a more likely scenario package Stewart (or another player) with a pitcher like Fry to net another prospect in a trade. Not that you'll land anyone great, but perhaps a high ceiling prospect that hasn't shown much in the minor leagues.