Sunday June 27: Orioles try to get a series split in Buffalo

SteveA

Gametime:  1:07 pm

Forecast:  84 degrees, no precip

Roster MovesFreddy Galvis goes on the IL.   Stevie Wilkerson and Konner Wade are sent to Norfolk.   Domingo Leyba, Ryan McKenna, and Ramon Urias are recalled from Norfolk.

MatchupJorge Lopez (R) vs Ross Stripling (R)

Lineups

1. Ryan McKenna (R) CF
2. Anthony Santander (S) DH
3. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B
4. DJ Stewart (L) LF
5. Austin Hays (R) RF
6. Domingo Leyba (S) 2B
7. Maikel Franco (R) 3B
8. Ramon Urias (R) SS
9. Austin Wynns (R) C

1. Marcus Semien (R) 2B
2. Bo Bichette (R) SS
3. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (R) 1B
4. Teoscar Hernandez (R) LF
5. George Springer (R) DH
6. Cavan Biggio (L) RF
7. Randal Grichuk (R) CF
8. Joe Panik (L) 3B
9. Reese McGuire (L) C

Orioles Bench
Trey Mancini (R)
Cedric Mullins (L)
Pedro Severino (R)
Pat Valaika (R)

Bullpen Availability (last pitched)

Available
   Paul Fry* 1.0 IP, 12p Friday; 1.0 IP, 23p Thursday
   Hunter Harvey 0.1 IP, 16 p Tuesday
   Tanner Scott* 1.0IP, 10p Friday 
   Cole Sulser  1.0 IP, 13p Friday 
   Dillon Tate 1.1 IP, 22p Friday; 1.2IP, 26p Wednesday  
   Tyler Wells 1.0 IP, 12p Tuesday

May Be available
   Travis Lakins 4.0 IP, 42p Thursday
   Adam Plutko 2.2 IP, 49p Thursday

Not Available
   Alexander Wells* 2.0 IP, 43 pitches yesterday

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

Having checked Leyba’s MLB stats, I am greatly mystified as to why he is considered a Bat. He’s a nothing. Unless I’m missing something really significant.

You mean someone we were able to get on waivers 3 weeks ago when he was DFalA'd by the worst team in MLB isn't a superstar in the making????

I'm shocked!

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You mean someone we were able to get on waivers 3 weeks ago when he was DFalA'd by the worst team in MLB isn't a superstar in the making????

I'm shocked!

I was just going to say, he came from the worst team in baseball, and managed to get on the other worst team in baseball.

More about Leyba. When we claimed him, or traded for him or however we got him The commentary was that he was a good hitter but a terrible defender, but looking at his stats, he is also a terrible hitter, so I am curious as to why we got him. I suppose we could say he’s a warm body, but dont we already have some of them?

Edited by Philip

1 minute ago, Philip said:

More about Leyba. When we claimed him, or treated for him or however we got him The commentary was that he was a good hitter but a terrible defender, but looking at his stats, he is also a terrible hitter, so I am curious as to why we got him. I suppose we could say he’s a warm body, but dont we already have some of them?

AAA career OPS .901 at ages 23 and 25
AA career OPS  before that was pretty bad
in A ball he had a year with a .914 OPS as well as some bad years

Kind of mixed results but career minor league OPS is .782.   I wouldn't say he's a terrible hitter.

Or are you basing it solely on his 47 at bats in the majors?   Or, really on his 22 at bats inthe majors this year, since his other 25 came in 2019 and he had a .802 OPS?

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes I’m basing it on his major league performance, because as we learn from people like Sisco, Minor-league excellence or even minor-league acceptableness doesn’t necessarily translate to the major leagues.

So when he OPSed .802 in 25 at bats in 2019 for Arizona, he was a good major league hitter.

And now that he went 2 for 22 this year he is a bad major league hitter?

Do you have no concept of sample size?   

You seem like such an intelligent person, sometimes I wonder if you are being intentionally obtuse just to provoke responses.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meanwhile, where is Mullins?Is he getting “a day off” or is there something wrong?

I don’t mind seeing McKenna, but I do mind seeing Stewart in the outfield. I have kind of soured on him a little bit.

Yep, scheduled day off according to the announcers.

They didn't say that about Mancini, however, which makes me wonder why he is off today.