Troubling Trevor Bauer assault allegations

jabba72

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's say the O's look like contenders coming into the 2024 season but need a pitcher and Bauer is available.

Who here is OK with signing him?

Ok. I'll take the bait.  Is this a morality test?  He wasn't charged with a crime. I think what turns him on is sick but, apparently, I'm a square.  He will have served a 2-year suspension for something he wasn't charged with let alone convicted.  

So, while I wouldn't be crazy about signing him I wouldn't boycott the team and would be ok if he helped my team contend for a championship with some great pitching.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. I'll take the bait.  Is this a morality test?  He wasn't charged with a crime. I think what turns him on is sick but, apparently, I'm a square.  He will have served a 2-year suspension for something he wasn't charged with let alone convicted.  

So, while I wouldn't be crazy about signing him I wouldn't boycott the team and would be ok if he helped my team contend for a championship with some great pitching.

I'm just curious where folks are on the issue.  

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

There's been a few more woman come forward with allegations against Bauer so while what he's doing isnt illegal, he's definitely treading in the gray area of the law here. I think the added claims are too much and dont want him in two years. 

29 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

There's been a few more woman come forward with allegations against Bauer so while what he's doing isnt illegal, he's definitely treading in the gray area of the law here. I think the added claims are too much and dont want him in two years. 

Fair enough.  I certainly understand someone feeling that way.    Do you feel he should be banned for lifetime from baseball?

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Fair enough.  I certainly understand someone feeling that way.    Do you feel he should be banned for lifetime from baseball?

You didn't ask me but...

Going by what I've seen I wouldn't ban him for life. 

I also wouldn't sign him to a contract.

So while I respect his right to work in his chosen field, I also respect the right of potential employers to decline to engage his services.

• Upvote 1

As a woman, eff that guy. I don't care if it starts consensual, women are easily manipulated by powerful men, especially at younger ages, especially during the social media era. Status, prestige, money are attractive to young, naive women. The situations might have started with an "ok, this sounds different and could be fun" but by the end, it was clearly not really what any of them wanted. ( Insert expectation vs reality meme here). Eff that guy. Hope the league black balls him. He's gross.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If a team wants to sign him in two years thats their prerogative. Maybe time willl heal some old scars. I doubt he'll be the same pitcher but thats just MO.

I wouldn't want the O's signing him.  I'm not going to unfollow the team, but it's hard to be a fan of someone who acted in such a horrible way.  Luckily none of the women suffered permanent physical damage that we know of.  Choking someone unconscious could cause permanent brain injury.   Probably some mental scars there.  I think I would be more forgiving if this was a 1 time thing, but this seems to be Bauer's MO. 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, RZNJ said:

I don’t understand the logic of you can’t suspend a guy if he wasn’t charged with a crime.   Prosecutors typically only charge crimes if they are very confident they can prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.   That’s a much higher standard than what is required to suspend someone.   To me the fact that Bauer wasn’t charged with a crime is irrelevant.   Pete Rose was banned from baseball for acts that hadn’t been prosecuted at the time (he was later charged with tax fraud).    Shoeless Joe Jackson et al. were acquitted of crimes and yet banned from baseball.   Criminal charges simply aren’t the standard, nor should they be.   It just makes it easier to suspend someone if criminal charges have been made.

Now does Bauer deserve to be suspended on the merits of what he allegedly did, and if so, is the length of the suspension appropriate?   That’s a separate question.   

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t understand the logic of you can’t suspend a guy if he wasn’t charged with a crime.   Prosecutors typically only charge crimes if they are very confident they can prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.   That’s a much higher standard than what is required to suspend someone.   To me the fact that Bauer wasn’t charged with a crime is irrelevant.   Pete Rose was banned from baseball for acts that hadn’t been prosecuted at the time (he was later charged with tax fraud).    Shoeless Joe Jackson et al. were acquitted of crimes and yet banned from baseball.   Criminal charges simply aren’t the standard, nor should they be.   It just makes it easier to suspend someone if criminal charges have been made.

Now does Bauer deserve to be suspended on the merits of what he allegedly did, and if so, is the length of the suspension appropriate?   That’s a separate question.   

My point wasn't that he shouldn't be suspended.  What I was trying to convey is that he would have been punished already with the 2 year suspension.    As a fan, while I don't condone what he's allegedly done, I wouldn't be totally against having him on my team if I thought he was going to be a great pitcher again.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Let's say the O's look like contenders coming into the 2024 season but need a pitcher and Bauer is available.

Who here is OK with signing him?

I don’t want him on this team regardless. Avoiding the legal issues he has, it’s very telling that there are no former teammates defending this guy. The Dodgers were trying to win a World Series last year, but nobody wanted him on the team.

And also he’s had plenty of struggles even when healthy and eligible to play. He had great seasons in 18 and 21, but outside of that he was slightly better than leave average. I can’t imagine he would be very productive after a 2 year lay off. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the broader point is whether it's appropriate to suspend someone because he was accused.

Accusations are cheap. And sadly, today's world is full of opportunists and "me-too" glory-seekers.

We have learned this FAR too often, and seem to be learning it even now, regarding Depp v Heard.

There has been a wrongful assertion of "believe all women" that has been bandied about in the press for a few years... and it has had some pretty terrible consequences.

While it is important to take accusations seriously... it is utterly wrongful to believe all accusations in the absence of proof.

This sloganeering is costly, and will eventually create a backlash.

This statement stands independent of the guilt or innocence Bauer regarding these accusations.

• Upvote 1