Troubling Trevor Bauer assault allegations

jabba72

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know.  MLB has had a long time to consult lawyers, investigate and button this down.  

I’m not sure how buttoned down it can possibly be given lack of charges. I think it’s more likely the MLB has made a calculated bet that it’s better from a PR perspective to go overly harsh and have it reduced on appeal than to leave any room for parties to suggest they went light. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I’m not sure how buttoned down it can possibly be given lack of charges. I think it’s more likely the MLB has made a calculated bet that it’s better from a PR perspective to go overly harsh and have it reduced on appeal than to leave any room for parties to suggest they went light. 

Lack of charges is completely irrelevant. Prosecutors didn’t think they could prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.   MLB doesn’t have to.   This isn’t a criminal case.   

Look, I’m not saying MLB definitely will win.   I’m just saying this isn’t a decision where they had to rush to judgment.  They’ve had plenty of time to assess the evidence and think about how to craft a suspension that can stand up to third party scrutiny.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:23 PM, Frobby said:

Lack of charges is completely irrelevant. Prosecutors didn’t think they could prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.   MLB doesn’t have to.   This isn’t a criminal case.   

Look, I’m not saying MLB definitely will win.   I’m just saying this isn’t a decision where they had to rush to judgment.  They’ve had plenty of time to assess the evidence and think about how to craft a suspension that can stand up to third party scrutiny.  

I understand this isn't a criminal case. My point was that given the absence of charges, it would seem difficult to argue the case for going beyond any previous suspension (and associated loss of earnings) to date.

16 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I understand this isn't a criminal case. My point was that given the absence of charges, it would seem difficult to argue the case for going beyond any previous suspension (and associated loss of earnings) to date.

I don’t know enough about MLB’s domestic abuse policy or what the state of their evidence was initially vs. now to have a strong opinion on what a proper and defensible punishment would be.  All I know is that MLB has plenty of money to hire smart lawyers and had plenty of time to investigate and get advice.   So they should have been able to come up with something that would stand up in court.    Of course, this could be a case where they’d rather have a court or arbitrator telling them they were too harsh, vs. facing public criticism for being too lenient.   

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wonder if the Bauer situation is going to end up like the Ray Rice situation, where he doesn't receive a criminal punishment, but never plays baseball again.

I'm interested in what teams would be willing to offer him a contract.