2021 Draft Thread

Keith Law is a fan.

25. Connor Norby, 2B, East Carolina
Previously No. 49

Norby has performed his way into Day 1 status, hitting .415/.475/.688 this spring for the Pirates with newfound pop, although he’s limited to second base by a fringy arm. He really helped himself with a solid showing against Vanderbilt in the super regionals, hitting the best pitching he’d faced all year, with good at bats and a couple of knocks against Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker. He has a compact swing and uses the whole field well, with wrist strength to drive the ball the other way. Norby is a second baseman and projects to stay there, and his bat should make him at least a regular at that spot, even if he doesn’t come into much power.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am bias, but I watch a lot of East Carolina baseball, and I would love to see us draft Connor Norby at 41 today.  If the O's are looking for another big time college bat which seems to be what they have been focusing on, I think this guy fits the mold and he isn't another OF which is nice.

Pumped about this one!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am bias, but I watch a lot of East Carolina baseball, and I would love to see us draft Connor Norby at 41 today.  If the O's are looking for another big time college bat which seems to be what they have been focusing on, I think this guy fits the mold and he isn't another OF which is nice.

You have fished your wish!

Would love to get a scouting report, if you have time.

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

More than halfway through the second round, Taylor and Chandler are still on the board. Both would be interesting overslot options in comp round B.

Both are still on the board through round 2. Don't know what their number is, but one or both will be available at #65.

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

More than halfway through the second round, Taylor and Chandler are still on the board. Both would be interesting overslot options in comp round B.

Yeah, I'd be happy with Chandler here.  Really want to add some arms to the org.  Mace or Burns if Chandler isn't signable.

yeah, so pirates go underslot at 1.1 and then go lottery ticket overslots with a HS pitcher and HS OF. Orioles go underslot and then take a college 2B and a college OF with their next two picks. 

Kinda makes me mad when the Marlins take Khalil Watson and the HS Catcher with their first two picks. The padres just casually take the 6'7" HS OF Wood with their second pick without going underslot with their first pick.

I feel like it's just a myth that you have to go big underslot in order to afford HS studs.

Just now, NJOriolesFan said:

44 by FanGraphs is pretty decent for #65

Absolutely, seems to be a divergent opinions, neither Keith Law and MLB Pipeline had him in their top 100. 

Presumably the Orioles viewed him closer to how Fangraphs does.

Just meant to say that he wasn't a clear overslot.

I guess I don't understand the almost complete lack of pitching in Elias drafts.   Don't we need to add pitching to the system and into the pipeline as well?

2019 -- 2 pitchers in the first 12 picks (11 rounds)

2020 -- 1 pitcher in the 6 pick, 5 round draft

2021 -- so far no pitchers

So top 21 picks over a 3 year period, and just 3 pitchers.