A different kind of Trade Deadline Strategy

wildcard

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Jose Ramirez is reportedly available.  I would look into a trade for him.

I like Ramirez but I think Cleveland would want more than I'd be willing to give up for him at this point. 

Pittsburgh got a top 5 prospect and filler from SD for Frazier, and I think it would take more than that to get Ramirez, IMO he's better than Frazier.

37 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I like Ramirez but I think Cleveland would want more than I'd be willing to give up for him at this point. 

Pittsburgh got a top 5 prospect and filler from SD for Frazier, and I think it would take more than that to get Ramirez, IMO he's better than Frazier.

And I would be more than happy to beat that deal to get the far superior player.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And I would be more than happy to beat that deal to get the far superior player.

So, you would trade D.L. Hall, Jordan Westburg, and Ryan McKenna for the right to pay Jose Ramirez 26M over the next 2 years where we are very likely not contending in either year?

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, you would trade D.L. Hall, Jordan Westburg, and Ryan McKenna for the right to pay Jose Ramirez 26M over the next 2 years where we are very likely not contending in either year?

I wouldn’t trade Hall and Westburg.

No one SD traded is as highly rated as Hall is.  Just because they dealt their #5 prospect doesn’t mean our #5 prospect also has to be included.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No one SD traded is as highly rated as Hall is.  Just because they dealt their #5 prospect doesn’t mean our #5 prospect also has to be included.  

Regardless you’re going to have to give up more to get two years of a player that more than likely won’t be here when this team is contending again. 

I get why you’d want a player of his caliber and he would be fun to watch but I think The team needs to stick with the plan of building a pipeline of talent like Elias promised. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I can't think of any reason to trade for an elite player like Ramirez.  The O's would probably still be a sub .500 team even with Ramirez.  The O's are trying to rebuild the farm system, not deplete it and get back to a lower level farm system.  If the O's get Ramirez and have to give up 3 of their top 10 prospects, how does that really help the team long term.  I could see a similar trade making sense in a couple years if the O's are on the verge of being a playoff team and a similar player is available. 

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You did say you would be happy to beat that deal.  Then it sounds like you wouldn't be.  

4 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Regardless you’re going to have to give up more to get two years of a player that more than likely won’t be here when this team is contending again. 

I get why you’d want a player of his caliber and he would be fun to watch but I think The team needs to stick with the plan of building a pipeline of talent like Elias promised. 

You can build that pipeline and get better at the ML level at the same time.  

Not every MiLer is destined to become a Baltimore Oriole.  They are also assets to do other things with.

And the Os should be contending in 2023 and 2022 they should be a lot more competitive.

20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'd love to have Ramirez on the O's, but it just doesn't make sense for the O's to give up a gaggle of top prospects for him when he's 28 and can leave after 2 years.   

I certainly would prefer it if we had him for one more year but again, I think we can win with him in these next 2 years.

I would say that if the Os were ready to start trading assets, that there are probably longer term targets that I would prefer over Ramirez but I certainly would love to add him.  Would I use my best trade chips for him?  Perhaps but I will say that it does depend on what else they would be willing to do to commit to winning now.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hall alone may beat the deal for Frazier and Im not saying to just trade Hall for him.

You said Ramirez was the far superior player.  You said you would be happy to beat the other deal.  Now, you aren't even committing to trading Hall by himself.  Click.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You said Ramirez was the far superior player.  You said you would be happy to beat the other deal.  Now, you aren't even committing to trading Hall by himself.  Click.

What?  Read better.

Im saying you could argue that Hall alone is better than what SD traded AND I would be trading more than just Hall to get Ramirez.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What?  Read better.

Im saying you could argue that Hall alone is better than what SD traded AND I would be trading more than just Hall to get Ramirez.

Haha. Ok. So you would trade Hall but if they asked for Westburg as the second piece, you would say no.