Should we Trade John Means?

Jbwest31

The way current ownership acts, everything needs to be done as cheaply as possible.  i feel like we are trying to outcheap the DRays.  I don't think that's a recipe for success and my best hope for the O's is new ownership.  Prove me wrong based on what the O's have done the last couple of years.

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The way current ownership acts, everything needs to be done as cheaply as possible.  i feel like we are trying to outcheap the DRays.  I don't think that's a recipe for success and my best hope for the O's is new ownership.  Prove me wrong based on what the O's have done the last couple of years.

They are following a similar strategy to what the Astros did.   Whether it works as well as it did for the Astros won’t be known for a few more years.   I don’t expect them to be cheap when the team is on the upswing.  

I’ve had a bad gut feeling on Means for a while.  The shoulder fatigue issue now a couple times.  Dropped spin rate.  My fear is that he does not get back to where he was.   If he throws together a couple solid starts and we get a decent offer, I make the deal.  He will not be here for the next playoff team.  Heck, I bet next time O’s are in playoffs means is on the IL for whatever team he plays for.  

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I’ve had a bad gut feeling on Means for a while.  The shoulder fatigue issue now a couple times.  Dropped spin rate.  My fear is that he does not get back to where he was.   If he throws together a couple solid starts and we get a decent offer, I make the deal.  He will not be here for the next playoff team.  Heck, I bet next time O’s are in playoffs means is on the IL for whatever team he plays for.  

He’s not going to get any more starts before the trade deadline, which is 4 pm tomorrow.   Teams will either make an offer or not based on what they’ve seen.

I’m relatively optimistic on how the rest of the year goes for him.  

I don’t think he gets traded but the WS are a sleeper team for a very good starter.  Problem is, what do they have to trade for an upper echelon guy like Means?  

Would they trade Vaughn?  Doubt it.

Madrigal?  Possible.  He is out for the year but should be fine for next year.  

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he gets traded but the WS are a sleeper team for a very good starter.  Problem is, what do they have to trade for an upper echelon guy like Means?  

Would they trade Vaughn?  Doubt it.

Madrigal?  Possible.  He is out for the year but should be fine for next year.  

You think Means is upper echelon? Personally, I don’t but I hope to be wrong and some team offers the O’s the farm to get him. 

FYI not saying you’re right or wrong just meaning to me he’s not that special. But injuries also seem to be in the way and could be clouding my judgement. 

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

You think Means is upper echelon? Personally, I don’t but I hope to be wrong and some team offers the O’s the farm to get him. 

FYI not saying you’re right or wrong just meaning to me he’s not that special. But injuries also seem to be in the way and could be clouding my judgement. 

He’s a very solid #2 starter imo…not a lot of those around.

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s a very solid #2 starter imo…not a lot of those around.

9 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I say Solid 3 

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I say a 3. 

“Solid” is the issue here.   Means has never qualified for the ERA title, and the exact quality of his pitching going forward is still in question.   We’ve seen him pitch like at least a 2 for a couple of months at a time.   But can he return to that level, and stay healthy enough to sustain it?   Beats me.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Solid” is the issue here.   Means has never qualified for the ERA title, and the exact quality of his pitching going forward is still in question.   We’ve seen him pitch like at least a 2 for a couple of months at a time.   But can he return to that level, and stay healthy enough to sustain it?   Beats me.

I think it’s fair to knock him down because of health.  After all, availability is an underrated aspect of an athletes career.

But I think when he pitches, he’s stronger than a 3.  Maybe the lack of spider tack will effect him..who knows but when he goes out there, I have confidence that he will pitch like a TOR guy.