Phillips, Evans and more released

Legend_Of_Joey

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Granted, ownership probably doesn’t allow it, but there are GMs who could have pulled it off. 

Even if it wasn’t standard practice, the idea is to take advantage before it’s the walk year.

When you compete in a division with the Yankees and Red Sox it makes more sense to operate like the Rays than to follow conventional thinking.

Normally you would just keep Britton after 2016, but when you have a weak farm system, aging veteran core and less resources than your division rivals it takes some outside the box thinking to stay ahead. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Getting the 40 man ready for the winter. 

Not sure what this has to do with the 40-man since none of these players are on the current 40-man.

I saw Chris Saw play on rehab and he looked like a guy going through the motions. He was weird pick up anyways and goes to show no matter what your EV is when you hit the ball, if you have huge holes in that swing and doesn't matter.

Carroll and Phillips are guys with good arms but no consistent command. 

32 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Britton should have been moved after his incredible season. His value was never going to be higher.

Easy to say now, but the Orioles on paper felt they were still contenders that year after so it's doubtful you move a guy then.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Honestly, when has a team that made the playoffs, had most of their players returning the next year hoping for another playoff run, traded off their best player with 2 years of team control left?

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been the correct move it that we wouldn't be better off now.  But you are talking about something radically unorthodox.  Something that Angelos wouldn't have allowed and that Duquette probably wouldn't have been able to pull off.

Yes, it’s very radical to do the smart and obvious thing!

Those trades were more about dumping money than they were the players coming back. Britton was just coming back from injury and struggling, combine that with a big salary, and the Yankees were pretty much the only fit. 

Tate is coming around and us under team control until 2026. He also was the #4 overall pick just two years before we traded for him. 

I think DD did the best he could with the Britton trade. 

The Yankees have paid Britton around $45mm over 3.5 seasons for 116 IP and 3.0 WAR. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Honestly, when has a team that made the playoffs, had most of their players returning the next year hoping for another playoff run, traded off their best player with 2 years of team control left?

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been the correct move it that we wouldn't be better off now.  But you are talking about something radically unorthodox.  Something that Angelos wouldn't have allowed and that Duquette probably wouldn't have been able to pull off.

Agree an after 2016 deal would have been a "smartest guy in the room" type move, though I feel SG/CoC would observe you wouldn't have had to be too smart to think of that one, just so long as no one is worried about Buck's atmosphere.

The Britton inaccuracy/blunder to me was tendering him for 2018 when he was hurt.   My memory is it was known he'd miss a couple months (2018 game log has 1st game June 12th).  You're going to give a hurt great reliever 1/12 for half a season?

Sure, 29 other teams would have had a crack at Half of 2018 Britton, but surely he had all the feelings for that team Trey Mancini will have for the 2022-2023 Orioles.

Now that Trey is still here, we can start watching the seesaw of RBI's and tender probability, though I don't know if a tender before the CBA expires would stick for 2022, or possibly get re-negotiated in the CBA?   If the players obtain some earlier free agency as part of the outcome, a 30-year-old by Opening Day 2022 strikes me as a demographic the Union might like to see as an early class of beneficiary of newly won rights.

Just so long I guess as Rutschman 2022-202x doesn't get messed up.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Those trades were more about dumping money than they were the players coming back. Britton was just coming back from injury and struggling, combine that with a big salary, and the Yankees were pretty much the only fit. 

Tate is coming around and us under team control until 2026. He also was the #4 overall pick just two years before we traded for him. 

I think DD did the best he could with the Britton trade. 

The Yankees have paid Britton around $45mm over 3.5 seasons for 116 IP and 3.0 WAR. 

Yeah Britton was damaged goods by the time he was traded and the Orioles were never going to get a top prospect in return.

And Gausman who had trade value in 2018, got packaged with O'Day to the Braves and that resulted in another salary dump of a trade. But Bruce Zimmerman is showing some promise this year as a starting pitcher.

LHP Zach Britton traded for RHP Dillon Tate, RHP Cody Carroll (released), LHP Josh Rogers (released)

RHP Kevin Gausman/RHP Darren O’Day traded for RHP Evan Phillips (released), 3B JC Encarnacion (released), C Brett Cumberland, LHP Bruce Zimmermann, International Signing Bonus Money

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

LHP Zach Britton traded for RHP Dillon Tate, RHP Cody Carroll (released), LHP Josh Rogers (released)

RHP Kevin Gausman/RHP Darren O’Day traded for RHP Evan Phillips (released), 3B JC Encarnacion (released), C Brett Cumberland, LHP Bruce Zimmermann, International Signing Bonus Money

ATlhg.gif

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t remember which trade involved Carroll and Phillips, But I don’t think they were very  good trades.

1 hour ago, vab said:

Man that Britton trade really worked out. Another cautionary tale of why you don't wait until a guy is five minutes away from free agency to trade him. 

We got Dillon Tate in that trade.   In my opinion, he’s developing pretty nicely.   Four years of control after this one and I can see him being an effective back end reliever over that period.   He’s still got some rough edges but I consider him to be improving at a good pace.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure what this has to do with the 40-man since none of these players are on the current 40-man.

I saw Chris Saw play on rehab and he looked like a guy going through the motions. He was weird pick up anyways and goes to show no matter what your EV is when you hit the ball, if you have huge holes in that swing and doesn't matter.

If I remember correctly, Shaw was 1-46 when he went on the IL.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I worded poorly. I assumed they want more of a look at some players who are eligible coming up. 

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

None of those player were on the 40 man roster this year.

Yeah. I didn’t explain myself well. I assume they want to decide about players who are Rule 5 eligible and perhaps some AAA opportunities will arise.  Moving on from players who have no potential future here. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah Britton was damaged goods by the time he was traded and the Orioles were never going to get a top prospect in return.

And Gausman who had trade value in 2018, got packaged with O'Day to the Braves and that resulted in another salary dump of a trade. But Bruce Zimmerman is showing some promise this year as a starting pitcher.

The second O’Day was in the deal that trade was doomed from a prospect standpoint. All about money.