Yanks: 5/80 for AJ?

wildcard

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This article on ESPN from Buster Olney mentions that the Jays are prepared to sign Burnett to a 4 year deal worth $54 million. He says it is still unclear if the Yankees have added a 5th year to their contract. It could come down to which team offers a guarenteed 5th year to get Burnett to sign.

I think what that article means is the BJ's are hoping and praying they get Burnett and his agent drunk enough to sign a 4/54 mil offer. There's no way $13.5 mil a year gets Burnett.

If the Jays's sign Burnett to 4/54 and the O's don't match or beat that, I will lose a lot of faith in AM. If this is true, 4/60 from the O's, and he's ours the day of that offer.

I think what that article means is the BJ's are hoping and praying they get Burnett and his agent drunk enough to sign a 4/54 mil offer. There's no way $13.5 mil a year gets Burnett.

If the Jays's sign Burnett to 4/54 and the O's don't match or beat that, I will lose a lot of faith in AM. If this is true, 4/60 from the O's, and he's ours the day of that offer.

We should be offering 4/56 right now..make it slightly higher than Toronto. He seems to want to be here more than anywhere else as it is, so that may be enough or at least, close to enough.

The 5/80 offer was probably made up entirely by the sportswriter.
But that doesn't make it any less likely that he'll end up with a contract very similar to that.
So whether it’s true or not that the Yanks extended an offer topping the Jays by $26 mil in total contract value has no bearing on the market for AJ???

We should be offering 4/56 right now..make it slightly higher than Toronto. He seems to want to be here more than anywhere else as it is, so that may be enough or at least, close to enough.

That's a good point. Atleast that leaves us with room to go up to 4/60 if need be. That be about my limit, but if the O's went 4/64, I probably wouldn't be too upset about it.

I guess the best news from that story is it seems neither Toronto nor the Yankees wanto go that 5th year if they don't have to.

I agree with you, offer 4/56 and a 5th year option, and I think like you said, that gets us close enough. Especially if Burnett wants to be here as much as its rumored.

I think we should do this if the Sox are now going to put something out there for him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/latest-on-aj-bu.html

I had read (can't remember where) that Burnett has mentioned to people close to him, that he wants no part of NY or Bos. So, I assume his agent will bring them both into talks to get more out of the O's and Tor. I really believe when its all said and done, Burnett will either be an Oriole or a Blue Jay. And if its close or equal, I think he chooses us.

On a side note, I read the article, and in the comments, did a Yankee fan really refer to the Cubs as a small market team, or did I read that wrong?

On a side note, I read the article, and in the comments, did a Yankee fan really refer to the Cubs as a small market team, or did I read that wrong?

Yes, yes this was said. I reread it after you mentioned it. Oh well. There is also a post saying this is the exact time for Boston to pounce on Tex(with the Yanks searching for pitching)

I love these types of articles that pop up.

A: They're not reliable. The NY Post, Times, Herald... whatever the heck this is, is basically a step up from U.S. Magazine. It's got more gossip then an episode of Desperate Housewives.

B: If it were true, which it doesn't really matter either way... it'd be great and a big LOL for the Yankees. The reason why the Yankees aren't the Yankees of old is because they neglected their farm system to go along with high priced volatile free agents. They're finally at a point where they can rid themselves of the Giambi's, Posada's, Abreu's and now they choose to spend 80 million on Burnett? Fine, take him. Yeah he'd be great in an Orioles uniform -- but this just screams Carl Pavano for the Yankees.

I think if the O's have an offer that is in line with most other teams offers, Burnett will sign here. That way he will be close to his 55 acre home in Monkton, which is only 24 miles from OPACY ;).

Latest On A.J. Burnett

By Tim Dierkes [November 18, 2008 at 10:11pm CST]

Kat O'Brien of Newsday has the latest on free agent starter A.J. Burnett. She says the Red Sox have "significantly increased their involvement" on Burnett recently. They'll butt heads with the Yankees, who have yet to make a formal offer. O'Brien shoots down George King's recent suggestion of "perhaps" a five-year, $80MM offer from New York. The initial offer will be four years at more than $13.5MM per.

There's talk that Ryan Dempster's four-year, $52MM deal will raise the stakes for Burnett, but he figured to soar well beyond $13MM per year regardless. The Dempster and Kyle Lohse deals could give Burnett's agent justification in asking for five years though. Aside from the Red Sox, Yankees, and Blue Jays, the Braves, Phillies, and Orioles are in the mix. The Braves will have to be aggressive on Burnett and Derek Lowe, in case they aren't able to acquire Jake Peavy.

Yanks offer is a bad rumor:clap3:

Archived