Wednesday, August 18: the misery continues in St Petersburg

SteveA

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He went 7 in relief once.   And I think he gave up one hit.   And the Orioles came from behind to win.

Actually it was better than that.  7.2 innings, no hits, 1 walk.

O's trailed 4-2 when he came in, wound up winning 7-4 on the strength of a Pat Kelly grand slam in the bottom of the 8th.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL197907230.shtml

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If he agrees to your price he is good enough. If Orioles let him go he is guaranteed to get better deal?  Point being offer him similar money to this year with bonuses.  

So league minimum?

Can I DFA him and offer him a ST invite?

I'm honestly not sure I want to use a 40 man slot on him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So league minimum?

Can I DFA him and offer him a ST invite?

I'm honestly not sure I want to use a 40 man slot on him.

Basically. Slight bump. 

You can do that as well. My point is you don’t have to offer him arb to keep him. He has no leverage. He pitches well here he gets moved at deadline next year. If I’m him I want an opportunity. He will get that here. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

O's trailed 4-2 when he came in, wound up winning 7-4 on the strength of a Pat Kelly grand slam in the bottom of the 8th.

I wonder how that rates among the best relief outings in MLB history?   I know that there was a guy that came on after a pitcher walked a guy and got hurt and pitched 27 straight outs.   I remember Yusmiero Petit's incredible outing for the Giants vs the Nats in that 18 inning playoff game.  

If there was a "game score" type thing for relief appearances, maybe Tippy's might be one of the top 10 or 20 of all time?

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's during the infancy of Orioles Magic. Now it's all just tragic. 

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wonder how that rates among the best relief outings in MLB history?   I know that there was a guy that came on after a pitcher walked a guy and got hurt and pitched 27 straight outs.   I remember Yusmiero Petit's incredible outing for the Giants vs the Nats in that 18 inning playoff game.  

If there was a "game score" type thing for relief appearances, maybe Tippy's might be one of the top 10 or 20 of all time?

That was Babe Ruth and Ernie Shore.  He actually retired 26, the guy that walked got caught trying to steal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think just based on the game situation Moe Drabowsky in game one of the 1966 World Series on the road against the Dodgers. Drabowsky pitched 6 2/3 shutout innings of one hit ball while striking out 11 batters. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN196610050.shtml

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I must say I really hate modern baseball with the four five six pitchers per game each team.  I hate seeing that crap.  I remember Tippy Martinez where they would let him pitch three innings or more sometimes.   

Go back a bit further, and look up Fergie Jenkins. In 1974 he went 25 and 12, and he did not win the Cy Young. In 1975 he went 24 and 25, and he also did not win the cy young. can you imagine having almost 50 decisions?