MLB Pipeline top 100

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Detmers added 5-6 mph on his fastball last year. He's much improved from draft time.

If I was an Angels fan, I'd have mixed feelings about that report.   I am sure the Driveline-type stuff can unlock some extra oomph for many pitchers, but who knows if the pitching mechanisms using that fresh extra velo for X amount of time can sustain it for 3, 6, 12 years.

Of course if you are below the John Means Grayson Rodriguez level, who cares?   Clubs just want the performance until you prove yourself durably good enough for your bullets to be strategically deployed.    

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

5 in the top 100. Kjerstad dropped out. If we would’ve went in different directions the last two draft we could’ve have 4 guys in the top 30. 

Other teams with strong representation on that list:

Miami - 7 of the top 100

Kansas City - 6 of the top 100

Tampa Bay - 5 of the top 100

Pittsburg - 5 of the top 100

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wonder if Mike’s logic goes like this:

The success rate of Pitching is so low, It is better to let other teams take the risk, and suffer the failures, and trade for their almost-successes. Drafting Lacy means you get Lacy’s current problems, But if Lacy does well, you can trade for him, Provided you’re prepared to pay a lot.

I’m not sure that’s really a good strategy, but it would certainly seem to fit with what Mike is actually doing.

I think that is about the gist of it.   Bats, models-wise at least, are reliably good for longer periods of time than Arms.   Arms gain in importance in Octobers, but today we don't know if on July 31, 2023 we want German Marquez or Aaron Nola or Chris Sale.

Grayson's draft year, the next NCAA bat selected was Trevor Larnach and he took one of the lowest 1st round bonuses - it isn't hard to imagine him having been the Orioles pick had Elias gotten in one year sooner.

I hope the 2023 draft from perch 1-7, or whatever it ends up being goes something like:

-Gregg Olson

-Chris Ray

-Chris Ray

-Chris Ray

I've criticized Elias for some of his individual draft decisions, especially this year, but overall I have to say that Elias has done a good job at doing what he was supposed to do:  rebuilding the team through its farm system. 

I know a lot of people are disgusted right now at the O's major league product, and Elias could have put more effort and perhaps more money into having a more respectable major league club this season.  But Elias is doing a good job at moving the organization along the one and only path it has to returning the major league team back to contention.  Five years from now, we won't care how many games the O's lost this season, but we will care that the O's had a deep and talented farm system this season.      

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Prospect for prospect trades rarely happen but I think Elias will be quick to trade established big leaguers (Mullins, Santander, etc.) for pitching prospects once their value peaks if there are younger cheaper options on the way in (Stowers, Cowser, and others). 

I don't see any other way of doing it since we aren't drafting pitchers and all of our pitching prospects currently in the upper levels have command issues minus Grayson Rodriguez or fringy stuff (see Wells, Lowther, Rom). 

That's how I read it too, that Elias would trade a surplus in young position player talent for established veteran pitchers. The thing is those veteran pitchers are usually very expensive, and I hope ownership at that time will approve the additional payroll. 

6 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I've criticized Elias for some of his individual draft decisions, especially this year, but overall I have to say that Elias has done a good job at doing what he was supposed to do:  rebuilding the team through its farm system. 

I know a lot of people are disgusted right now at the O's major league product, and Elias could have put more effort and perhaps more money into having a more respectable major league club this season.  But Elias is doing a good job at moving the organization along the one and only path it has to returning the major league team back to contention.  Five years from now, we won't care how many games the O's lost this season, but we will care that the O's had a deep and talented farm system this season.      

I mean he’s had three drafts with high picks and headed for the #1 overall again. I mean damn, who couldn’t draft well?

Edited by sportsfan8703

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We can’t change anything but we passed on,

2021: Lawler(#13), Watson (#28)

2020: Martin(#38), Veen(#55), Lacy(#72), and Gonzalez(#68)

We can’t change anything now. I’m going to root for the guys we have. But all six of those guys were rumored to be in the mix and we took players that were/are rated lower.

I like the Cowser pick, but with the slot money we left on the table if we used the full availability(105%), it’s basically Lawler vs Cowser + Creed Willems.  

We passed on Robert Hassell also, who would have been a much better reach/underslot pick than Kjerstad. I fully believe that the Kjerstad pick was a poor one by Elias, heart inflammation or not. But the Westburg and Mayo picks will hopefully make up for it. Hard for all of your draft picks to be winners.

I also would have preferred Lawlar this year, but Cowser was a solid pick - he should hit the majors sooner, and help the Orioles compete sooner.

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm a little surprised Westburg isn't Top 100 the way he has played. Also surprised they still have Gunnar ahead of him in our Top 30. 

I think MLBpipeline sees Westburg's scouting grades at 50-55 across the board. I think they see him as a high floor steady guy, but still a fairly higher ceiling. I think they are selling his hit tool and raw power short. His arm is the only 55 grade on their scouting report. I think we will see them re-evaluate that in the off-season. I think we will see Westburg improve his power in the offseason. 

With Gunnar, he is more exciting a prospect with 60 power/arm and 55 hit tool. His in game power is more apparent right now and he is only 20 in high A. Yes, he is struggling right now, but he is having good at bats and should see better results before the end of the year. 

Just my $.02, but Colton Cowser is going to climb much higher in these rankings by this time next year. He'll add some strength and loft to his swing and take off. I do not know that he'll stay a CF, but maybe. His bat to ball skills are just really impressive. I also think Coby Mayo is going to join him. Mayo is a dude! Stowers strikeouts are ridiculous, 122 in 366 plate appearances. That said, he is remarkably patient and productive. 

I am a little surprised to see Adam Hall at #15 and to not see Rob Neustrom in these rankings at all. Tony is a lot more accurate with his power rankings.

• Upvote 1

I think the rankings (here and other sites) are showing the Orioles system is built back up and is now one of the tops (unless you are Keith Law). The international market is starting to be a viable source of talent as well. Those were the first goals for this team. 

Now that is the case, I hope we start seeing an improvement at OPACY next year. Seeing guys like Adley and Grayson debut should help, but I'd really like to see the team invest in a piece this offseason as well. That seems to be a common trait in rebuilding teams: adding a player a year or two early to help with the upswing. Honestly, just a solid mid-rotation arm would help a lot. It would provide a reliable anchor in the rotation that, along with Means and--eventually--Rodriguez can give at least 3/5 of a solid rotation. That, in turn, helps take a load off the bullpen which should improve results there, too. Would that be enough to compete: no, but we could take a step forward. 

Again, rebuilding the farm was step one. That's now looking good. I'm anxious for step 2.