I'm predicting Hyde will resign soon

GuidoSarducci

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's the you can't fire the players so you fire the manager approach. Even though the biggest issue on the Orioles is lack of player talent and not the coaching staff. Not saying Hyde is the guy to lead the Orioles after the rebuild, but Earl would have had a stroke dealing with this current team's ineptitude. 

Hyde may or not be the guy.  IIRC, Joe Maddon went through some bad years in Tampa when their team was crap before he was anointed a genius.  

I think Hyde, after presiding over a crap team not trying to win should have the chance to manage this team when some of the prospects get called up.  

2 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Fair or not, Hyde and his staff shouldn't be comfortable with their 2022 retention. Most players regressed in 2021. And I don't care about vengeance for the 2021 season, I care about setting a new tone for 2022 and beyond with the commencement of our top prospects arriving in Baltimore. While there are some players that can bridge the two eras, I don't see that from the coaching staff. 

As much as I feel Hyde has not been given a fair roster to compete with, I do think retention should not be assumed.  Fair or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Come on man, that's blatantly out of line.

I guess people just don't like the guy. Me, I think he's a good fit. The players seem to like him. As far as people saying he doesn't motivate or doesn't teach fundamentals ... how do you know that? Are you in the dugout or at practices?

Joe Maddon thinks he's the right guy for the job too:

It's as if people here can't see the forest for the trees. The roster the front office has given him is hot garbage. The worst pitching in the majors. Some hitting talent here and there but not much. Average to below average fielders. 

People say Earl Weaver was a great manager and he was. But take a look at the players he had on the team. Those were Hall of Fame teams, not the Hall of Shame team Elias has put together.

My issue is with Elias. Don't get me wrong, he's doing a good job fixing our minor league pipeline and that's a huge thing. But, at the same time you can't totally neglect the major league team and give fans nothing to enjoy for 5+ years. 

I accept that i shouldn’t have written what I said. However, there are grounds for it. He’s fat which means he’s out of shape. If he were 55+ that might be ok, but he’s only 47, and can reasonably be expected to keep in shape. He doesn’t. Why not? Is that meaningless in a sport where physical condition is so important? Maybe. Does it set a poor example? Maybe. I’m not sure, which is why I accept that it was unnecessary. But it’s still a valid question.

It is entirely possible to list legitimate examples that indicate Hyde is neither a good manager nor a good motivator. Yes he has poor players, and we don’t know how much roster input he has, if any. But how he uses what he has is questionable.

Regarding Maddon, or the shills writing for the team, what are they gonna say? I work with people who are barely competent, but I’ll never publicly say anything bad about them. That’s just basic PR.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

Regarding Maddon, or the shills writing for the team, what are they gonna say? I work with people who are barely competent, but I’ll never publicly say anything bad about them. That’s just basic PR.

Maddon could have said "no comment" when questioned but he clearly believes in Hyde's baseball competence. 

There's clearly two camps here. The one's who think Hyde sucks and the ones who think we suck because our roster sucks.

Edited by gtman55

6 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Maddon could have said "no comment" when questioned but he clearly believes in Hyde's baseball competence. 

There's clearly two camps here. The one's who think Hyde sucks and the ones who think we suck because our roster sucks.

I don't know if Hyde is a the manager for the future, but I do know he can't really be evaluated with the "talent" he's been given to work with over the last three years. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Both can be true at the same time, of course.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Philip said:

He’s fat which means he’s out of shape. If he were 55+ that might be ok, but he’s only 47, and can reasonably be expected to keep in shape. He doesn’t. Why not? Is that meaningless in a sport where physical condition is so important? Maybe. Does it set a poor example? Maybe. I’m not sure, which is why I accept that it was unnecessary. But it’s still a valid question.

Is this an actual argument against a major league manager?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I think we would be terrible if we had the Lord Jesus as our manager, and I’ve never said otherwise, but we’ve lost several games because of mis-management: a particular move or non-move may not have kept us from losing that game anyway, but it led to defeat.

So I do not think Hyde is a good manager,  Although it is definitely true that if he had a better team he would have a better record. Ned Yost was so bad Royals Review coined a term.””Yosted” to define a stupid move. But his team was so good( and so lucky at the right time) that he went to two World Series. But he was still a bad manager.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

The Houston-style rebuild's going according to plan, isn't it? So why should Hyde resign or be fired? As I said the other day, from what I can tell nobody is accepting or assigning responsibility to anyone for this team's failure in every aspect of the game: the GM for putting together such an untalented roster, the manager for the team's terrible performance, the coaches for the decline or lack of improvement of virtually everyone who's been on the ML roster. Maybe that will change in the off-season, but I don't expect it to.

What I never understood, and still don't, is what qualified Hyde to be hired in the first place, other than maybe a willingness to work cheap and confidence that, no matter how bad things got, he would not criticize anyone or stray from the Elias party line.

I thought for a while that Hyde's apparent ability to accept years of losing with relative equanimity -- his tough Hyde -- was deemed to be a qualification to manage the Orioles, but I've never seen that as an asset, except perhaps (and I'm serious) as protective of Hyde's own health and well-being. At this point, his lack of outward fire/dismay/disgust and relatively calm acceptance of continual and humiliating losing seems to have carried over to the players.

If Hyde was supposed to be a knowledgeable baseball guy, a good strategist, or have skills in working with and improving young players, I haven't seen any evidence of those things, and I can't recall observing a single spark of creativity or original thinking from Hyde. And I've watched a lot of games managed by Hyde. (Not so much anymore.)

From time to time during Hyde's time with the Orioles, it's been stated that he's just a placeholder to manage during the early stages of rebuilding, and that he'll be replaced by a "real" manager (more experience, bigger name, higher salary, with the potential for greater impact) once there's enough talent at the ML level to create the potential for a winning team. I don't know whether that's the plan, or is likely to happen, but again it makes no sense to me. Why would you do that? To save some money? Because that's what Houston did? If you think another manager can help a team that has lots of players with limited ML experience win more games, shouldn't that person be in place at or near the beginning of the rebuild?    

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Come on man, that's blatantly out of line.

I guess people just don't like the guy. Me, I think he's a good fit. The players seem to like him. As far as people saying he doesn't motivate or doesn't teach fundamentals ... how do you know that? Are you in the dugout or at practices?

Joe Maddon thinks he's the right guy for the job too:

It's as if people here can't see the forest for the trees. The roster the front office has given him is hot garbage. The worst pitching in the majors. Some hitting talent here and there but not much. Average to below average fielders. 

People say Earl Weaver was a great manager and he was. But take a look at the players he had on the team. Those were Hall of Fame teams, not the Hall of Shame team Elias has put together.

My issue is with Elias. Don't get me wrong, he's doing a good job fixing our minor league pipeline and that's a huge thing. But, at the same time you can't totally neglect the major league team and give fans nothing to enjoy for 5+ years. 

I disagree.  There is not much that is hot about this team.   Its mostly cold.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do not expect Hyde to be the manager when Elias decides to switch gears and attempts to start winning.

I think he's here to caretake the tank years.

If that's the case, that is a really crappy thing to do to someone.  That's the type of thing that gets out and makes a candidate think twice about taking the job, if offered.  If your organization doesn't have your back and give you all the tools you need to be successful at your job, then that is a problem.  This whole thing just stinks right now.  You can just see on Hyde's face how little fun he is having trying to put lipstick on the pig that is the Baltimore Orioles right now.  A kick in the nuts while having a root canal would be more enjoyable to him, judging by the look on his face every time they show a shot of him in the dugout.

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think we would be terrible if we had the Lord Jesus as our manager, and I’ve never said otherwise, but we’ve lost several games because of mis-management: a particular move or non-move may not have kept us from losing that game anyway, but it led to defeat.

So I do not think Hyde is a good manager,  Although it is definitely true that if he had a better team he would have a better record. Ned Yost was so bad Royals Review coined a term.””Yosted” to define a stupid move. But his team was so good( and so lucky at the right time) that he went to two World Series. But he was still a bad manager.

Hey! hey!  JC could work miracles.

• Haha 1