I'm predicting Hyde will resign soon

GuidoSarducci

25 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I think Hyde is a good fit for such a team as this, but I prefer someone else when we have enough talent to at least compete.  Some one who has a lot of Managerial experience before he comes here.  What is depressing is how many more years is that?  

I just don't get it. If "someone else" would be better when there's more talent -- which still will be, for the most part, talent that's inexperienced and proving itself at the ML level -- why wouldn't that someone else be a better manager for the Orioles right now or next year. Better at squeezing a little more juice out of the lemons on the Oriole roster, to give Elias and the organization a better idea of who's really got some talent (while losing a few less games, or losing them in less embarrassing fashion). Better at showing guys how to resent losing in a way that's productive. Better at trying out some innovative or creative in-game strategies. Better at working with Elias on roster decisions instead of accepting what Elias decides and keeping his mouth shut. It seems to me that you try to get the best manager you can, in light of the kind of player mix you have, instead of planning to upgrade to "someone else" later, and that up to a point continuity in managers is a good thing.

If your view is widespread, and I think it is, having Hyde manage the crap team but planning to have someone else come on in a couple years just reinforces the message that the organization doesn't give a crap about improving the team it's asking fans to come see now. That may have worked out all right in Houston. This ain't Houston.

I've watched the Orioles since 1954. That first team that arrived from the Browns wasn't good, but it wasn't this bad. This team has taken bad to a whole new level. Except for several positions (first base and around the outfield - when healthy) it is not a major league team. And I don't see any other members of the current roster- YET- with a great deal of star power potential.  The pitching however has taken ineptitude to a record breaking level. 

So, what do we have? Hyde is fat, sets a bad example, so the Orioles are bad! Hyde makes bad moves so the Orioles are bad! Coaches are inept and can't develop so the Orioles are bad! Owners won't spend so the Orioles are bad! Hyde is just a placeholder, so wait for his replacement - a sign that the Orioles won't be so bad. It's The Plan, Have Patience while the Orioles are bad! Bottom line - THE ORIOLE PLAYERS FOR THE MOST PART ARE BAD AND I DON"T KNOW HOW ANY PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL PERSON COULD PUT THIS TEAM TOGETHER OR PUT UP WITH THIS MESS!  The Orioles - the subject of this site - are a laughing stock at the major league level. If that was to be an intentional part of The Plan, someone - NOT JUST Hyde - needs to be accountable. 

So, maybe Ellis, not Hyde goes out the door first? Who knows? It seems like many are watching a boat sink and rooting for the storm! I guess, that's what we are left with for a season. How deep can it go? At least i don't get upset anymore when they lose. I expect a loss just like I expected a win every time Palmer pitched. Oh, the memories!!!!!!!!!!!!

One last thought. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Ellis has conversations with The Sons about The Plan. Love to be the same fly if The Sons are able to have any baseball conversations at all with The Father -or share holders for that matter. Now you talk about something to buy a ticket to!

16 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I just don't get it. If "someone else" would be better when there's more talent -- which still will be, for the most part, talent that's inexperienced and proving itself at the ML level -- why wouldn't that someone else be a better manager for the Orioles right now or next year. Better at squeezing a little more juice out of the lemons on the Oriole roster, to give Elias and the organization a better idea of who's really got some talent (while losing a few less games, or losing them in less embarrassing fashion). Better at showing guys how to resent losing in a way that's productive. Better at trying out some innovative or creative in-game strategies. Better at working with Elias on roster decisions instead of accepting what Elias decides and keeping his mouth shut. It seems to me that you try to get the best manager you can, in light of the kind of player mix you have, instead of planning to upgrade to "someone else" later, and that up to a point continuity in managers is a good thing.

If your view is widespread, and I think it is, having Hyde manage the crap team but planning to have someone else come on in a couple years just reinforces the message that the organization doesn't give a crap about improving the team it's asking fans to come see now. That may have worked out all right in Houston. This ain't Houston.

I think you are forgetting what the #1  goal of the season is.  #1 draft choice.  Accumulate talent.

2 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I've watched the Orioles since 1954. That first team that arrived from the Browns wasn't good, but it wasn't this bad. This team has taken bad to a whole new level. Except for several positions (first base and around the outfield - when healthy) it is not a major league team. And I don't see any other members of the current roster- YET- with a great deal of star power potential.  The pitching however has taken ineptitude to a record breaking level. 

So, what do we have? Hyde is fat, sets a bad example, so the Orioles are bad! Hyde makes bad moves so the Orioles are bad! Coaches are inept and can't develop so the Orioles are bad! Owners won't spend so the Orioles are bad! Hyde is just a placeholder, so wait for his replacement - a sign that the Orioles won't be so bad. It's The Plan, Have Patience while the Orioles are bad! Bottom line - THE ORIOLE PLAYERS FOR THE MOST PART ARE BAD AND I DON"T KNOW HOW ANY PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL PERSON COULD PUT THIS TEAM TOGETHER OR PUT UP WITH THIS MESS!  The Orioles - the subject of this site - are a laughing stock at the major league level. If that was to be an intentional part of The Plan, someone - NOT JUST Hyde - needs to be accountable. 

So, maybe Ellis, not Hyde goes out the door first? Who knows? It seems like many are watching a boat sink and rooting for the storm! I guess, that's what we are left with for a season. How deep can it go? At least i don't get upset anymore when they lose. I expect a loss just like I expected a win every time Palmer pitched. Oh, the memories!!!!!!!!!!!!

One last thought. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Ellis has conversations with The Sons about The Plan. Love to be the same fly if The Sons are able to have any baseball conversations at all with The Father -or share holders for that matter. Now you talk about something to buy a ticket to!

Is that you Phillp?

• Haha 1

Two thoughts:

- The next time a team is going through a "rebuild" and needs a warm body to be manager, I would like to throw my hat into the ring. I feel confident I can lead a team to at least 25-30 wins.

- For teams intentionally tanking, they should institute the current intentional walk rule. Just allow the team to take an automatic "L" for each game during the season and have the players stay in Florida to play 162 extended spring training games. The MLB has become professional wrestling, you know who is going to win before the match starts.  

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think you are forgetting what the #1  goal of the season is.  #1 draft choice.  Accumulate talent.

I don’t buy that getting the no. 1 pick was a goal.   If it had been, we would have dealt away more players at the deadline.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Even Cedric Mullins had two miscues last night and looked very bad at the plate.

To me, Cedric has looked tired & worn out for the past week or so. Hasn't been himself either at the plate or in the field. He's been playing day in / day out for 5 months, and I think it's starting to catch up with him. He might need a few days off to regroup.

2 hours ago, beantownrefugee said:

I doubt Hyde would resign.  He's 47, has many baseball years ahead of him, and likely would have opportunities to be a bench coach after this, especially with Maddon's endorsement.  Resigning when the going got tough wouldn't look good to a future employer. 

He looks like he's aged 10 years this year.  Understandably.  I fear he might have a seizure from captaining this sinking ship.