Mountcastle talk

MijiT88

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im with you, I want hitters that can hit.

But, remember Reynolds was hitting and had a brick for a glove at third. 

Not saying MC is that bad, just saying, I totally want hitters, but dont need super bad defensive players either.

No..defense matters, especially in prime positions.  I’m good with his defense at first and I agree with Frobby that I think he could have worked himself into a serviceable LFer but we don’t (hopefully) need him to do that.  

• 2 weeks later...

ROY Check In (stats before today)

Ryan Mountcastle — .258/.312/.490/.802, 30 HR/83 RBI/73 R, 0.9 rWAR/1.5 fWAR

Randy Arozarena — .271/.350/.457/.807, 19 HR/65 RBI/89 R, 3.6 rWAR/2.6 fWAR

Adolis Garcia — .243/.288/.461/.749, 30 HR/83 RBI/73 R, 3.4 rWAR/2.7 fWAR

Wander Franco —.285/.347/.463/.810, 7 HR/36 RBI/49 R, 3.1 rWAR/2.2 fWAR

Luis Garcia — 150.1 IP, 11-7, 3.23 ERA/1.15 WHIP, 161/48 K/BB, 2.8 rWAR/3.3 fWAR

I think this will be a close race. Mountcastle's WAR lags behind because of the defense, and I don't expect he'll win the award. But if he winds up leading in the counting stats (and he just passed Adolis in HR/RBI with the HR tonight) I bet he'll be a finalist, with Arozarena or L Garcia winning it.

Franco is there in terms of WAR but I don't think enough voters would go for a guy with less than 70 games played in a year with this many decent candidates.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Franco is there in terms of WAR but I don't think enough voters would go for a guy with less than 70 games played in a year with this many decent candidates.  

Franco would have needed a monster half season like Yordan Álvarez did in 2019 to win ROY. But he will likely end up the best player out this group. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

ROY Check In (stats before today)

Ryan Mountcastle — .258/.312/.490/.802, 30 HR/83 RBI/73 R, 0.9 rWAR/1.5 fWAR

Randy Arozarena — .271/.350/.457/.807, 19 HR/65 RBI/89 R, 3.6 rWAR/2.6 fWAR

Adolis Garcia — .243/.288/.461/.749, 30 HR/83 RBI/73 R, 3.4 rWAR/2.7 fWAR

Wander Franco —.285/.347/.463/.810, 7 HR/36 RBI/49 R, 3.1 rWAR/2.2 fWAR

Luis Garcia — 150.1 IP, 11-7, 3.23 ERA/1.15 WHIP, 161/48 K/BB, 2.8 rWAR/3.3 fWAR

I think this will be a close race. Mountcastle's WAR lags behind because of the defense, and I don't expect he'll win the award. But if he winds up leading in the counting stats (and he just passed Adolis in HR/RBI with the HR tonight) I bet he'll be a finalist, with Arozarena or L Garcia winning it.

I've been a fan of rWAR mainly because I use Baseballl Reference so much, but honestly, those fWAR numbers look a lot closer to reality. rWAr really must penalize players a lot harder for defense than fWAR. Personally, I think since moving to first base full time Mountcastle's defense has been just fan and he started a really nice double play last week with a great throw.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I've been a fan of rWAR mainly because I use Baseballl Reference so much, but honestly, those fWAR numbers look a lot closer to reality. rWAr really must penalize players a lot harder for defense than fWAR. Personally, I think since moving to first base full time Mountcastle's defense has been just fan and he started a really nice double play last week with a great throw.

Totally agree. 1.5 really feels much closer to the eye test than sub-1. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don’t think fWAR penalizes defense more than rWAR.   They just measure defense differently.   Some players get judged as better defenders by rWAR than fWAR, and for others its the other way around.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think fWAR penalizes defense more than rWAR.   They just measure defense differently.   Some players get judged as better defenders by rWAR than fWAR, and for others its the other way around.  

Are their positional adjustments the same?

• 1 month later...