Praise for Severino

wildcard

On Friday, for an entire half inning, Ben McDonald and Rob along were going on and on about Wynns being the back up to Adley. They mentioned Sevie sticking around too, but thought he wouldn’t take a role as a back up. That is probably the main question, would Sevie want to have a shot at starting elsewhere or be a back up?

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

On Friday, for an entire half inning, Ben McDonald and Rob along were going on and on about Wynns being the back up to Adley. They mentioned Sevie sticking around too, but thought he wouldn’t take a role as a back up. That is probably the main question, would Sevie want to have a shot at starting elsewhere or be a back up?

I'm sure he'd rather be a starter than a backup and would rather be a backup than unemployed.

All depends on what other offers are out there.

The Rangers may not keep Jonah Heim. He is one of the best framers in all major league baseball, And he has power, even though he’s hitting for about .200 average right now.

I would be very happy to just go with one of our own in-house guys, as long as the focuses on defense, but if the Rangers cut Jonah loose, we could do worse than bring him back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Severino would get that much in arbitration.   But he’d be north of $2 mm anyway, and I’d guess that’s too steep for Elias’ taste.   

I can see a scenario where Severino gets non-tendered and resigns with the Orioles for $1M to $1.5M. I think Elias wants to bring in a better defensive catcher to backup Adley and that isn't Severino. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I doubt very seriously he’s in a position to be picky, but I would not want him as back up. I would much rather have a real Catcher who has a sense of defense

I know Severino is not as mobile at blocking pitches as we would like but its probably because he is banged up.   If he only catches 50 games I think he would do better defensively.   It would be less wear and tear on him. He is look pretty good behind the plate lately.  

I don't want to play Adley 2/3s on the time and then have some guy who's can't hit play the other 1/3.   That is just not productive IMO.   

Adley does not  need a defensive mentor.  He will be  better defensively than most any backup catcher the O's can bring in.  He just needs someone that knows the league to be a sound board along with the  manager and catching coach.

As far as the money goes whether is 1.8m he is getting now or 3m or any thing in between it not much money in the overall scheme of the payroll.   It certain does not stop the O's from upgrading the starters, pen  or the infield.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

As a counterpoint I'd like to post the pitch sequence to Sanchez in the second.

1. 91.8 4 Seam Fastball
  2. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball
  3. 92.3 4 Seam Fastball
  4. 91.9 4 Seam Fastball
  5. 91.4 4 Seam Fastball
  6. 92.6 4 Seam Fastball
  7. 93.0 4 Seam Fastball
  8. 93.2 4 Seam Fastball
  9. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball

Granted but how many did Akin shake off? Was that the original pitch called each time?

1. 91.8 4 Seam Fastball
  2. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball
  3. 92.3 4 Seam Fastball
  4. 91.9 4 Seam Fastball
  5. 91.4 4 Seam Fastball
  6. 92.6 4 Seam Fastball
  7. 93.0 4 Seam Fastball
  8. 93.2 4 Seam Fastball
  9. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball

That was not Severino's problem.  It was Akin's problem.  In that inning he could not throw his breaking pitches for strikes.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall him shaking any off but I could easily be forgetting something.  That isn't something I generally pay a lot of attention to.

I didn't see it so I don't know. Wildcard above says he didn't have his curveball so he likely shook a few.

1. 91.8 4 Seam Fastball
  2. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball
  3. 92.3 4 Seam Fastball
  4. 91.9 4 Seam Fastball
  5. 91.4 4 Seam Fastball
  6. 92.6 4 Seam Fastball
  7. 93.0 4 Seam Fastball
  8. 93.2 4 Seam Fastball
  9. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball

Same sentiment, but while Akin could have shaken him off the location was inside. Sanchez is a dead pull hitter, the location should have been low and away. They never went there.