Should the O's be considering 3B/2B Josh Harrison this off season?

wildcard

48 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Prove it.

If you pay 30-35M for one player and most of the rest of your team, especially your core, are making pre arb2 money, you will have plenty of payroll flexibility to do things.  

Where the contract starts to hurt you is in year 5 or so of the deal and by that point, you hope that you are generating a lot more revenue and the sting of the contract still isn’t that big.

One bad contract doesn’t hurt you much at all.  

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you pay 30-35M for one player and most of the rest of your team, especially your core, are making pre arb2 money, you will have plenty of payroll flexibility to do things.  

Where the contract starts to hurt you is in year 5 or so of the deal and by that point, you hope that you are generating a lot more revenue and the sting of the contract still isn’t that big.

One bad contract doesn’t hurt you much at all.  

Now I’m a little more clear on what you mean.  Wasn’t sure if you meant lead FAs will come here at market rates or they won’t have payroll flexibility.  Putting the idea that those guys would be willing to come here to the side, I do think it’s year 3-6 that would hurt this team.  Do you see them carrying multiple $100M deals when they (hopefully) are on the verge of extending R&R?  I think they could be capable, but I believe they’ll use it as an excuse for half-measures instead of going all-in if the core develops.  

I always felt that the Davis deal didn’t have to affect a Machado deal.  They could do both, but obviously they used the Davis deal as an excuse to not make a competitive offer to Manny.

At any rate, I can’t see Bryant or any of the SS entertaining a Baltimore offer because they will have others.

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Now I’m a little more clear on what you mean.  Wasn’t sure if you meant lead FAs will come here at market rates or they won’t have payroll flexibility.  Putting the idea that those guys would be willing to come here to the side, I do think it’s year 3-6 that would hurt this team.  Do you see them carrying multiple $100M deals when they (hopefully) are on the verge of extending R&R?  I think they could be capable, but I believe they’ll use it as an excuse for half-measures instead of going all-in if the core develops.  

I always felt that the Davis deal didn’t have to affect a Machado deal.  They could do both, but obviously they used the Davis deal as an excuse to not make a competitive offer to Manny.

At any rate, I can’t see Bryant or any of the SS entertaining a Baltimore offer because they will have others.

Well first of all, I think any of those guys would come here if our offer was the best on the table.

And whatever contract you sign For Adley or Grayson, the “real money” won’t be made until at least their arb 2 season and even at that point, it depends on how you define “real money”.  If they are making 10M but performing at a high level, that is chump change relatively speaking.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well first of all, I think any of those guys would come here if our offer was the best on the table.

And whatever contract you sign For Adley or Grayson, the “real money” won’t be made until at least their arb 2 season and even at that point, it depends on how you define “real money”.  If they are making 10M but performing at a high level, that is chump change relatively speaking.  

You’re Kris Bryant.  The Orioles offer you 6/180.  The Giants offer you 6/174.  You’re going to the Orioles deal over the Giants?

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

You’re Kris Bryant.  The Orioles offer you 6/180.  The Giants offer you 6/174.  You’re going to the Orioles deal over the Giants?

Actually yes.  The Giants are largely luck this year and they don’t have the long term foundation the Os do.  On top of that, I also know OPACY gives me a better chance to pad stats for a potential HOF run.

The issue with the Os is ownership.  That is one thing that would stop me from signing in Baltimore if I were a player.  Just so many unknowns there. Of course, the unknowns we have may not exist, we just don’t know as fans about certain things.