Minor League Coaching Shakeup: Kendall, Steenstra, Mills out

Legend_Of_Joey

Both of those guys have been around a pretty long time.    Before the Elias era, to be sure.  Kendall always seemed like a good guy.   Good luck to both of them.

Edit - Kendall was with the Orioles organization for 22 years, Steenstra for 17.

Wonder if Buck Britton gets the "promotion" to Norfolk or if you keep him in Bowie because there is more player development in AA than AAA???

Although I would hope there are fewer Watkins, Wades, Jannises, Ripkens, in Norfolk next year than this year and more real prospects.

• Upvote 1

I also heard Alan Mills was let go as well.

Gary is an outstanding player evaluator and good manager who was probably a bit too old school for this regime. 

It's sad to see good baseball men get moved aside, but the organization is all about the new school. I hope they don't forget that some of the old school guys still have value as well. 

I certainly hope Gary lands on his feet somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I also heard Alan Mills was let go as well.

Gary is an outstanding player evaluator and good manager who was probably a bit too old school for this regime. 

It's sad to see good baseball men get moved aside, but the organization is all about the new school. I hope they don't forget that some of the old school guys still have value as well. 

I certainly hope Gary lands on his feet somewhere. 

Yep, was about to update this and you beat me to it.

What would be the odds they fire them, only to sign them to the MLB squad, since there is a need for a 3rd base coach and….Something else I can’t remember.

• Legend_Of_Joey changed the title to Minor League Coaching Shakeup: Kendall, Steenstra, Mills out
15 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yep, was about to update this and you beat me to it.

What would be the odds they fire them, only to sign them to the MLB squad, since there is a need for a 3rd base coach and….Something else I can’t remember.

I'd put it at around 10 billion to 1.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I don't have any records in front of me, but it seemed like Norfolk was the least successful team in recent years. I know winning isn't supposed to be the primary focus. I was hoping Britton would move up though, even before this news.

Hard to win without talent.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to win without talent.

Again, I don't have the numbers, but the talent should have been the same as it went through the system, other than this year when the top prospects, at least most of them, didn't make it to AAA. I always think of Akin, for one example, as he went from Eastern League pitcher of the year to very average at Norfolk.

Perhaps I'm wrong for thinking so, but I started to question what was happening at AAA.