Who is the Orioles 2021 #3 prospect?

Tony-OH

Who is the Orioles 2021 #3 prospect?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Orioles 2021 #3 prospect?

• Colton Cowser - OF
    • D.L. Hall - LHP
    • Gunnar Henderson - SS
    • Heston Kjerstad - OF
    • Coby Mayo - 3B

This poll is closed to new votes

For me, my vote and comments are about my opinion. I'm not trying to guess Tony's.

That said, this is almost a toss-up for me between Mayo and Cowser. Mayo has age and power on his side, so I went with him. The only question I have on Mayo is about small sample size. I think his upside and performance are a match so far. Interestingly to me at least, on upside I still think Henderson (some more positional value, in theory) and Hall are comparable to Mayo. It's just that his performance and lack of injury history give him the nod for now.

Cowser seems to have slightly less upside of those guys mostly because he's probably never going to be a power guy, but he has positional value, a wonderful approach at the plate and also no injury history that I'm aware of. So his risk is a bit lower. So now you all know the guys in my top 6, as if any of you cared. :)

The earliest I could see Kjerstad is 8, and that's a massive reach to me right now even though he might be #1 by this time next year with some luck. 

30 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’m going to go with Henderson just because he’s probably the most well rounded position player out of the bunch. Hall had too many injuries to be this high, Kjerstad still hasn’t played, not sure about Cowser. Mayo sounds like another Mountcastle type where he’ll eventually move to the OF and possibly 1B/DH. The guy can hit though.

I think Henderson is a smokescreen option. I have a feeling Westburg may be higher of the potential middle infield guys. 

• Upvote 1

I am split between Mayo and Cowser in who I think Tony will pick. 

I think an argument can be made for either of those two plus Henderson.  There is just too much injury and relief risk with Hall.  He's not in the conversation for me.  In fact, I would expect him in the 5-7 range on this list. 

23 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Henderson is a smokescreen option. I have a feeling Westburg may be higher of the potential middle infield guys. 

Doesn’t seem like the national publications feel this way.  BA had Henderson ranked no. 1 in the  Low A East, no. 9 in the Hi A East, but didn’t include Westburg on either list (and didn’t include Mayo on the Low A list either).   Fangraphs has Henderson ranked 87th in MiLB, Westburg unranked.  Tony may see it differently, but I’d hardly call Henderson a smokescreen.   By the way, I feel that Westburg is underrated nationally.   

I’d love to know more about his elbow. I’d like to think he’s had enough time to see how it’s responded to rest. If he’s going to need surgery, it would be best to get the clock running on his recovery. His raw stuff is really impressive. Even if he loses 2022, there’s an awful lot to like long term. So despite the injury risk, his upside and numbers in AA make him my choice. Love Mayo, but he’s got a long ways to go. Cowser is too SSS for me to put above anyone other than Kjerstad on this list. 

I think the case can be made for any of these guys other than Kjerstad (who hopefully puts himself in the conversation with the rest of the bunch after a strong 2022). Based on the "who would you rather have" idea, I picked Mayo, but it's incredibly close. Hall's injuries scare me and I know there is some worry he may end up in the back of the pen, but his upside is huge IF he can stay healthy. 

If I were ranking (not that anyone would take my ranking seriously--nor should they), I would go: Mayo, Hall, Henderson, Cowser as my 3-6 in that order, but again, it wouldn't take much to convince me to change that up.