The Mullins market

Sports Guy

Hmm, someone using the pen name Mike Elias got his question answered by Mark Polishuk on today's MLBTR Live Chat:  https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-12149.html

Mike Elias
1:14
Marlins/O's trade:  Cedric Mullins for Pablo Lopez and Max Meyer.  Who says no?

Mark P
1:15
Wouldn't this be a cracker of a trade?  I could see both teams giving this a real think.  Miami would get the CF cornerstone it desires, and the Orioles would get two rotation building blocks.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Hmm, someone using the pen name Mike Elias got his question answered by Mark Polishuk on today's MLBTR Live Chat:  https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-12149.html

Would definitely have to consider that trade.  It's probably the first trade I've seen for Mullins that is realistic (either way).

I have been pitching this idea for a while.   Im Not saying the Marlins would definitely do it but if the reports are true about what they are looking for and where they think they are as an organization, I would be surprised if they didn’t make this deal.

And if you are the Os, you absolutely have to make this deal.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have been pitching this idea for a while.   Im Not saying the Marlins would definitely do it but if the reports are true about what they are looking for and where they think they are as an organization, I would be surprised if they didn’t make this deal.

Btw, this also assumes the Marlins value Mullins highly.  That’s obviously an unknown.  Plenty of reason to believe they would and plenty of reason to believe they wouldn’t.

But Meyer is probably #1 on my list of realistic guys we could acquire and he would have been higher for me than Stroman, who was my #1 offseason target. (Actually Lopez would probably be higher too..although I would like to have all 3)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Make that deal and then take CF Gilberto Jimenez with the first pick in the Rule 5 draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/meet-gilberto-jimenez-best-red-sox-prospect-youve-never-heard

Would still like to get Brian Anderson in that deal somehow.

Add DeJong.

I think taking a flyer on Tommy Pham could be a good idea.  He likely won’t cost much and this could be a good park for him to come to to try to re-establish his value and get one more solid contract.

Hays, Pham and Santander is your OF with McKenna and Stewart filling out the spots. Mateo also sees time out there.  Then we see what happens with Stowers, Neustrom, et al…

Meyer and GRod up in 2022.  

Good IF defense, average or so OF defense, great C upside and a rotation that by the end of the year, could show major promise  

No one blocked long term..no real money spent long term.  Better team now.  Had a chance to win 70-80 Games and build towards contention in 2023 with plenty of roster and payroll flexibility.

This doesn’t effect any plan whatsoever.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m just not sure Meyer is the #2 who comes over in the deal.  Maybe they could get Jake Eder, although Peter might come off his deathbed to prevent us from acquiring a guy who had TJ recently.  

It’s definitely an interesting proposal and good in terms of value on both sides.  The Marlins have an over abundance of pitching, and they develop it like no one else, and we have a surplus in the outfield at the higher levels.  It just makes sense.  I’m also not a fan of “quantity” trades.  

3 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I’m just not sure Meyer is the #2 who comes over in the deal.  Maybe they could get Jake Eder, although Peter might come off his deathbed to prevent us from acquiring a guy who had TJ recently.  

It’s definitely an interesting proposal and good in terms of value on both sides.  The Marlins have an over abundance of pitching, and they develop it like no one else, and we have a surplus in the outfield at the higher levels.  It just makes sense.  I’m also not a fan of “quantity” trades.  

They may not deal Meyer. Who knows.

But I’m putting this deal on the table and making them say no.  Like I said, I would like to get Brian Anderson in the deal too.  Good defender, good OBP upside, under team control for a few years but coming off an off year.  Taking on his salary may be helpful.  

8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'm a huge Mullins guy, but that's a deal I'd have to take. I'm never going to say that we could easily replace Mullins, but I think OF is pretty deep in the minors and it could get pretty crowded by the time we're ready to compete. I've always been a fan of Lopez and Meyer is a very highly regarded prospect with a lot of upside. Both could be in the rotation next season. Some may blast me for this, but I would think Meyer would become our 3rd best prospect, right in front of Hall. 

4 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

I'm a huge Mullins guy, but that's a deal I'd have to take. I'm never going to say that we could easily replace Mullins, but I think OF is pretty deep in the minors and it could get pretty crowded by the time we're ready to compete. I've always been a fan of Lopez and Meyer is a very highly regarded prospect with a lot of upside. Both could be in the rotation next season. Some may blast me for this, but I would think Meyer would become our 3rd best prospect, right in front of Hall. 

He’s definitely ahead of Hall.  I would agree that he should/would be #3 ahead of Mayo.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I guess im in the minority here but that isn’t the right package for Mullins. Lopez would be really close to free agency by the time the Orioles are good again so he’s a wash where it matters. 

Though, Lopez could probably be flipped along with Means and it’d be a solid reset for 2025 or whenever the Orioles are trying to be competitive again. 

5 hours ago, oriole said:

I guess im in the minority here but that isn’t the right package for Mullins. Lopez would be really close to free agency by the time the Orioles are good again so he’s a wash where it matters. 

Though, Lopez could probably be flipped along with Means and it’d be a solid reset for 2025 or whenever the Orioles are trying to be competitive again. 

It is absolutely the right package.  You can argue that Meyer along is enough.