I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You keep advocating for things without actually evaluating whether they're good or not.

Of course the O's could have signed anyone.  If they offered them enough money.  That doesn't even begin to evaluate whether they should or not.

You want to go on the record now and say that is a good signing by Texas?

I don't think anyone is screaming and yelling that the Orioles should have given Semien seven years.  But I do think it shows that a rebuilding team should not be afraid to add elite talent (arguable if that is Semien) even if they are "rebuilding" when the opportunity presents itself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

You keep advocating for things without actually evaluating whether they're good or not.

Of course the O's could have signed anyone.  If they offered them enough money.  That doesn't even begin to evaluate whether they should or not.

You want to go on the record now and say that is a good signing by Texas?

Really, did I advocate us signing Semien?  I believe I said in the very next post it was a bad signing.

I think I've been pretty clear that Ed-Rod and Matz could have been good signings for us.  Would you have wanted one of them or both of them or rolled into 2022 with Kremer, Akin, and Lowther?  You get one of Ed-Rod or Matz and you're looking at a rotation of Means, G-Rod, Ed-Rod/Matz and then whatever 4th and 5th you want to fill in with Kremer/Akin/Lowther.  That's a good top 3.  

1 minute ago, Hazmat said:

Maybe Elias is just waiting for the market to settle for Kris Bryant. ?

Depends on the numbers, I'm not sure if Bryant would be good for us or not.  Some seem to think he can still play at a relatively high level, others aren't so sure.  It would be a risk for us but it would certainly depend on the length of the contract.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

"Yeah, but the Rangers play in a weaker division so this makes more sense for them."

Rangers are about to cripple their payroll with two dubious signings. Semien is signing a 7 year deal and he turns 32 years old next year. And Story has a career home OPS of .972 versus .752 on the road. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Rangers are about to cripple their payroll with two dubious signings. Semien is signing a 7 year deal and he turns 32 years old next year. And Story has a career home OPS of .972 versus .752 on the road. 

No, I know.  They're dumb signings.  You'd have thought they'd have learned back when they signed A-Rod to his first deal but clearly they didn't.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Really, did I advocate us signing Semien?  I believe I said in the very next post it was a bad signing.

I think I've been pretty clear that Ed-Rod and Matz could have been good signings for us.  Would you have wanted one of them or both of them or rolled into 2022 with Kremer, Akin, and Lowther?  You get one of Ed-Rod or Matz and you're looking at a rotation of Means, G-Rod, Ed-Rod/Matz and then whatever 4th and 5th you want to fill in with Kremer/Akin/Lowther.  That's a good top 3.  

So you want to complain that the O's didn't do something you don't think they should have done?

That's...... rational.

You bring up E-Rod.   I brought him up this summer and I identified him as a good target.  If you want to complain about the O's not signing E-Rod- more power to you- but you do it when the O's don't sign E-Rod.

You don't do it every time some other random team signs a FA, particularly when you believe that specfic FA contract is a bad idea.

Just now, Pickles said:

So you want to complain that the O's didn't do something you don't think they should have done?

That's...... rational.

You bring up E-Rod.   I brought him up this summer and I identified him as a good target.  If you want to complain about the O's not signing E-Rod- more power to you- but you do it when the O's don't sign E-Rod.

You don't do it every time some other random team signs a FA, particularly when you believe that specfic FA contract is a bad idea.

Seems to me that he's questioning the process moreso than the individual players.

I think that you don't cut yourself off from any source of talent.  That goes for the International market or the free agent market.  You need to pull from all of them.

17 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I don't think anyone is screaming and yelling that the Orioles should have given Semien seven years.  But I do think it shows that a rebuilding team should not be afraid to add elite talent (arguable if that is Semien) even if they are "rebuilding" when the opportunity presents itself.

But if Semien isn't an example of that, then why try to use him as an example of that?