O’s sign Jordan Lyles

LookinUp

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gausman in 2017 and his combined total in 2018.

Seems a long time ago. 

What this does is help to keep the arms in the pen healthier and potentially more effective. The fly ball rate and HR rate don’t seem to bode well at The Yards, but maybe there are things they have in mind to alter that with pitch selection. Ok, that’s about as positive as I can be with this one.

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

The innings eating is a big help. Obviously our bullpen got killed last year because we only had 1-2 real SP. The amount we paid does make me concerned that either Elias is not a good negotiator, or the amount we have to pay to entice pitchers to come here is a problem. Considering that we’re not planning to grow the arms, I’m not sure what we do. 

This team has nothing to offer other than an opportunity. 

Come pitch in Camden and in the AL East is not exactly a sales pitch. 

They will have to go after higher quality arms when the time is right and by then players may actually want to pitch here. Of course the trade market will be significant as well.  

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

First off…this looks like an absolutely baffling move. The longer Elias is the GM, the less faith I have that he is capable of the job. He just makes so many questionable and mind boggling moves.

The unsettling reality is that it seems we’re seeing pretty clearly what the “tax” for coming to Baltimore is for signing free agents right now. No one else in baseball would be paying Lyles this much and I have my doubts Lyles would have signed for anything less to come to a bad team, in a stacked division, in a hitters ball park. 

For sure…and btw, the Orioles are always going to struggle to get good starting pitchers to come here on a 1 year deals.  

That has more to do with the park and division than it does the quality of the team. 

Elias didn’t do anything wrong here.  Lyles probably could have gotten 3-5M elsewhere.  He wasn’t coming here for that. 

TBH, I’m just shocked that they are actually spending 7M On anything new at the ML level.

Also, it’s just occurred to me that part of this lock out will be discussions about tanking and teams that refuse to add anything to payroll. It’s a curious move to make just moments before a lockout…but it could be an attempt to save face and have the ability to point and say “look, we spend money!” while also reserving the right to be as bad a team as possible. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

For sure…and btw, the Orioles are always going to struggle to get good starting pitchers to come here on a 1 year deals.  

That has more to do with the park and division than it does the quality of the team. 

Elias didn’t do anything wrong here.  Lyles probably could have gotten 3-5M elsewhere.  He wasn’t coming here for that. 

TBH, I’m just shocked that they are actually spending 7M On anything new at the ML level.

Need to add 2 catchers on the cheap. 

Question is will they try to upgrade infield or other than AAAA types are they done? 

They should continue to spend on SP.  Time will tell. 

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The innings eating is a big help. Obviously our bullpen got killed last year because we only had 1-2 real SP. The amount we paid does make me concerned that either Elias is not a good negotiator, or the amount we have to pay to entice pitchers to come here is a problem. Considering that we’re not planning to grow the arms, I’m not sure what we do. 

They've lost over 100 games in 2018, 2019, and 2021. They seem likely to be just as bad in 2022. They play in one of the toughest divisions in baseball. Getting any free agent to come here is going to result in an overpay. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I expect Lyles to be around a 6-7 ERA by the end of the year, maybe eat some innings but he hasn’t really done that much in his career so it’s not something I’m going to count on. They could’ve paid a lot less looking for players who want the opportunity to prove themselves and gotten very similar results. 

I understand the notion that Baltimore has to pay more for free agents, especially right now. But that doesn’t mean you give $7m to Jordan F’ing Lyles. Elias has done wrong here, IMO.

1 minute ago, oriole said:

I expect Lyles to be around a 6-7 ERA by the end of the year, maybe eat some innings but he hasn’t really done that much in his career so it’s not something I’m going to count on. They could’ve paid a lot less looking for players who want the opportunity to prove themselves and gotten very similar results. 

I understand the notion that Baltimore has to pay more for free agents, especially right now. But that doesn’t mean you give $7m to Jordan F’ing Lyles. Elias has done wrong here, IMO.

You can only eat so many innings if your ERA is 6-7. 

Teams just don't leave guys in to take a beating anymore.