O’s sign Jordan Lyles

LookinUp

6 hours ago, interloper said:

From MLBTR:

"Lyles, 31, posted a 5.15 ERA, 19 K%, 7.3 BB%, and 37.6% groundball rate in 180 innings for the Rangers this year. There wasn’t much to like about Lyles’ season other than his taking the ball 30 times, which is a big need for an Orioles rotation with no reliable members after John Means. After a decent 2019 season for the Pirates and Brewers, the Rangers gave Lyles a two-year, $16MM contract. The righty struggled throughout his time in Texas.

Given that lack of success, Lyles’ contract is a bit higher than you might expect. Perhaps that’s the cost of luring a pitcher to one of the game’s worst teams. Lyles received more than Rich Hill or Dylan Bundy ($5MM), the same as Michael Wacha, and only $1MM less than Corey Kluber."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/orioles-to-sign-jordan-lyles.html

Would have preferred any of those other guts you listed: Bundy, Hill, Wacha or Kluber

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, he doesn’t miss bats, he gives up homers, HR rate is high, his FIP and xFIP were in line with his ERA and he was overpaid.  His walk rate is good though.

He isn’t good.  

Now, all of that being said, in the last 2 full ML seasons, he has 58 starts.  He threw 180 Innings in 2021.  As was mentioned, he pitched 6 innings or more 18 times and only went less than 5 IP in 7 of his starts.  

In 21 of his starts, he gave up 3 runs or less. Overall, he had 8 starts of 5 runs or more allowed. Btw, 2 of these games he came in as a reliever but pitched 6 and 7 innings, so I did include that in these “starter” Numbers”.

Essentially, you have a guy who kept his team in the game for 75% of his appearances. That does have value on a team that has an awful staff and needs innings out of it.

Is it an overpay?  Yes?  Does the money matter?  No.  If they had paid him what he’s worth, saying 3-4M, would that make anyone feel better?  Like, who cares about The extra few million?

For 7 million bucks, I will take the same numbers he put up in 2021.  

It’s not really a good signing but it’s they did spend some money and they did address the idea that they need innings out of their starter.  That’s about as much as we can hope for. 

I agree. Who was the last starter we had that logged 180 innings in a season? Chris Tillman?

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, he doesn’t miss bats, he gives up homers, HR rate is high, his FIP and xFIP were in line with his ERA and he was overpaid.  His walk rate is good though.

He isn’t good.  

Now, all of that being said, in the last 2 full ML seasons, he has 58 starts.  He threw 180 Innings in 2021.  As was mentioned, he pitched 6 innings or more 18 times and only went less than 5 IP in 7 of his starts.  

In 21 of his starts, he gave up 3 runs or less. Overall, he had 8 starts of 5 runs or more allowed. Btw, 2 of these games he came in as a reliever but pitched 6 and 7 innings, so I did include that in these “starter” Numbers”.

Essentially, you have a guy who kept his team in the game for 75% of his appearances. That does have value on a team that has an awful staff and needs innings out of it.

Is it an overpay?  Yes?  Does the money matter?  No.  If they had paid him what he’s worth, saying 3-4M, would that make anyone feel better?  Like, who cares about The extra few million?

It’s not really a good signing but it’s they did spend some money and they did address the idea that they need innings out of their starter.  That’s about as much as we can hope for. 

I don't really consider anything addressed with this move.  I like to see moves that fill spots with positive WAR, not negative ones.  It's possible that my bar is too high.  This is the Orioles we're talking about.

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not that this move would excite anyone other than Lyles and his family/friends they have to spend some money.  

I’m not saying spending $6M this year with a $1M buyout next year will flip the narrative about the Orioles but from an optics view alone they have to do something.  

I'm expecting them to trade him next season so they don't have to pay the buyout.

Just now, Hallas said:

I don't really consider anything addressed with this move.  I like to see moves that fill spots with positive WAR, not negative ones.  It's possible that my bar is too high.  This is the Orioles we're talking about.

I mean, innings and taking the ball every 5th day was definitely addressed.

Of course, the quality of those innings is also part of that.  Still, if he can give us a 5ish ERA and throw even 170 innings in 2022, they will have gotten some level of value out of him.

7 IP and 4 runs allowed is a 5.14 ERA.  A QS is a 4.5 ERA.  You take either of those starts every time.  That keeps you in the game most of the time.

If he keeps us in games 75% of the time he goes out there, that’s fine.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He isn’t good.  

The innings eating is a big help. Obviously our bullpen got killed last year because we only had 1-2 real SP. The amount we paid does make me concerned that either Elias is not a good negotiator, or the amount we have to pay to entice pitchers to come here is a problem. Considering that we’re not planning to grow the arms, I’m not sure what we do. 

First off…this looks like an absolutely baffling move. The longer Elias is the GM, the less faith I have that he is capable of the job. He just makes so many questionable and mind boggling moves.

The unsettling reality is that it seems we’re seeing pretty clearly what the “tax” for coming to Baltimore is for signing free agents right now. No one else in baseball would be paying Lyles this much and I have my doubts Lyles would have signed for anything less to come to a bad team, in a stacked division, in a hitters ball park.