MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

This is crazy.  The players have never shown they cared about future union members before.

Almost seems like this is ego, they don't want to be seen as "losing" on any issue this time around.  All the major money issues can be framed as meeting in the middle.

Any public sentiment for the players is going to evaporate pretty quickly.  They had a choice -- eliminate draft pick compensation/QOs or allow an international draft... And they chose mine of the above.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

This is crazy.  The players have never shown they cared about future union members before.

Almost seems like this is ego, they don't want to be seen as "losing" on any issue this time around.  All the major money issues can be framed as meeting in the middle.

Any public sentiment for the players is going to evaporate pretty quickly.  They had a choice -- eliminate draft pick compensation/QOs or allow an international draft... And they chose mine of the above.

Except the part where they fought against an International Draft in previous CBA discussions.  This isn't the first time owners have asked for an International draft.

It looks like this is a bigger deal to both players and owners than we think it should be. 

Dang I'm frustrated right now. On one hand I respect the players for listening to the Dominican players, and doing what they are advocating for non-union members...but man this stinks. The owners gave a reasonable offer, the players countered with an even more reasonable offer (do any of us really want to see this process again in 3 years)....and we end up with more cancelled games. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

They don't. They are using it as a negotiating tactic. Not even sure why the MLBPA has a say since these kids are not even on the 40-man. it's all just something the players are using to get more money for their constituents, the 40-man roster guys (but mainly how to get veteran players paid more).

Exactly they are just using this to try and force the owners to pay them there full salary fir 162 games.   The owners were at fault a few weeks ago but now the players are the ones that keep saying oh but we need this then the get it and it is them saying oh we also need this.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except the part where they fought against an International Draft in previous CBA discussions.  This isn't the first time owners have asked for an International draft.

It looks like this is a bigger deal to both players and owners than we think it should be. 

They were given an option though.  No ID, but QO/draft pick compensation remains.  They didn't choose that either.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Exactly they are just using this to try and force the owners to pay them there full salary fir 162 games.   The owners were at fault a few weeks ago but now the players are the ones that keep saying oh but we need this then the get it and it is them saying oh we also need this.  

If they had come to an agreement today wouldn't they still played the full 162?

You play 162 you get paid for 162.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would have rather they had.

Players came back with if they can't figure out draft by Nov of 2022, then QO/draft pick compensation goes away. MLB owners rejected it. That seemed pretty reasonable to me. The QO/draft pick compensation is a big thing for the players, the fact that they are willing to give that up shows that the international draft issue very much matters to them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Players came back with if they can't figure out draft by Nov of 2022, then QO/draft pick compensation goes away. MLB owners rejected it. That seemed pretty reasonable to me. The QO/draft pick compensation is a big thing for the players, the fact that they are willing to give that up shows that the international draft issue very much matters to them.

Absolutely.

But I want to watch baseball and, to me, the deal from ownership seemed palatable.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Absolutely.

But I want to watch baseball and, to me, the deal from ownership seemed palatable.

Eh, I get why they're leery of potentially re-opening the CBA in 3 years, and the other two options were mediocre. I'd agree that they were ok...but I also get why they countered. 

Also this, that's just legitimately lame from the owners 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Shhh, you'll upset the player people who think there is no way the player peasants can work for $700k minimum wage and make ends meet. And good Lord, implement an international draft?? The horrors!! Let's miss games!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

?

I'm confused.

They are fighting to not have an International draft.

If the total money spent in the draft is equal to the money spent now, I don’t see why they should care.  But I assume the money is less?

I’m sure a deal gets done soon because they’re so close. But these last ridiculous incremental movements that happened at the cost of a full season are pretty shameful. Both sides valuing “winning” the negotiations over respect for the game itself. Would either side have been deeply wronged if they had softened their demands a week ago? With all that’s happening I’m the world, watching these two parties fight down to the last few millions for who gets a bigger share of the tens of billions is a joke. At least the minor league season isn’t heavily affected.