Meoli Analysis of Recent Moves

Aristotelian

Seems to be saying that O's weren't going to do anything major until the new CBA is in place. Rebuild strategy has been based on previous CBA. Not "flipping the switch" yet but ready to do so. Lyles overpay could be a signal of a salary floor coming.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-offseason-pre-lockout-20211203-cxflyua4dvb6vlphmesagdcc4m-story.html?outputType=amp

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems to be saying that O's weren't going to do anything major until the new CBA is in place. Rebuild strategy has been based on previous CBA. Not "flipping the switch" yet but ready to do so. Lyles overpay could be a signal of a salary floor coming.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-offseason-pre-lockout-20211203-cxflyua4dvb6vlphmesagdcc4m-story.html?outputType=amp

I agree that Lyles is a sign of an instant salary floor. Nothing too crazy, but not bare bones. He also may have been the best option that would take our money. It changes how we should view the Lyles move if so. Signing him could’ve helped us avoid whatever the penalty is. Especially if it’s losing draft picks. Heck, maybe even for 2023 given that we will likely replace Mancini/Santander with Stowers and a rotation at DH. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I don't understand the Lyles signing being viewed as a sign of a salary floor.  Lyles contract was signed under the former CBA...I'm not sure what the floor would be moving forward under the new CBA, but it seems stupid that they'd throw some extra cash at a guy like Lyles in the 11th hour of the old CBA just to get a head start on a salary floor that may or may not come to pass in the new one.

Then again, this is the Orioles and they are stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't understand the Lyles signing being viewed as a sign of a salary floor.  Lyles contract was signed under the former CBA...I'm not sure what the floor would be moving forward under the new CBA, but it seems stupid that they'd throw some extra cash at a guy like Lyles in the 11th hour of the old CBA just to get a head start on a salary floor that may or may not come to pass in the new one.

TL;DR: Then again, this is the Orioles and they are stupid.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:37 PM, Moose Milligan said:

You don't understand their rationale. You assume they're stupid.

Who's being stupid?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It doesn't make sense to assume the Lyles signing is to get over some floor.

What's your point? Does that mean the O's are stupid?

I just think that's about the laziest description of the O's that someone can make. I think it's much more reasonable to question their motivations as it relates to ownership. Calling the signing stupid is just lazy.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It doesn't make sense to assume the Lyles signing is to get over some floor.

The full explanation is not spelled out in the article, but I could imagine a scenario where a floor is set and then there is a mad rush to sign one year guys. If you were targeting a particular player you might miss your chance or pay an even bigger premium by waiting.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

What's your point? Does that mean the O's are stupid?

I just think that's about the laziest description of the O's that someone can make. I think it's much more reasonable to question their motivations as it relates to ownership. Calling the signing stupid is just lazy.

My point is that it doesn't make sense to assume the Lyles signing is to push the Orioles spending, in 2022, over a certain minimum threshold.

I thought that was clear?

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The full explanation is not spelled out in the article, but I could imagine a scenario where a floor is set and then there is a mad rush to sign one year guys. If you were targeting a particular player you might miss your chance or pay an even bigger premium by waiting.

You've already got guys under contract that you could give raises to if you wanted to.  I also think it's pretty unlikely that a floor would kick in for the 2022 season. 

I'm sure Mancini would accept a raise before his free agent season.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You've already got guys under contract that you could give raises to if you wanted to.  I also think it's pretty unlikely that a floor would kick in for the 2022 season. 

I'm sure Mancini would accept a raise before his free agent season.

Lol, I think the idea is to get at least some ROI rather than simply spending the money. If you think you are going to have to spend the money, it may make sense to lock in certain guys now. Again, I don't really know if that is the thinking, just speculating, and I still don't know if that justifies that much on a guy like Lyles. 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, I think the idea is to get at least some ROI rather than simply spending the money. If you think you are going to have to spend the money, it may make sense to lock in certain guys now. Again, I don't really know if that is the thinking, just speculating, and I still don't know if that justifies that much on a guy like Lyles. 

Exactly.