What are your expectations and hopes for Anthony Santander this season?

Frobby

I don’t think Santander or Mancini are parts of our future. So best case scenario for us is that the NL institutes a DH, Mancini has a big first half and is tradeable, and Santander stays healthy enough playing RF to take over everyday DH duties once after the trade deadline. Thus making him tradeable next offseason. 

If he stays mostly healthy the projections of a .750 OPS player with a .300 OBP and .450 SLG split seems about right for expectations, he may be able to improve on that a bit, but I would expect it to come more from the SLG side than the OBP. 

My hope for him would be an slightly improved eye and maybe elevated average to get that OBP up to the .320 range combined with a .480+ SLG to get him over the .800 OPS mark. I think that makes him a much more useful player either for us or another team. 

Give his track record though, my more realistic (or pessimistic, take your pick) expectation is a stay or two on the IL causing him to miss a month and a half and a sub-.300 OBP, but I still think he ends with at least a .730ish OPS.

• 3 months later...

He's not fully healthy yet.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/mining-the-news-3-23-22/

“I’d say I’m probably 90 percent there, and it’s been great getting back into the swing of things here in Spring Training,” Santander said through O’s interpreter Brandon Quinones.

Santander returned home in the offseason, shed 10 pounds and worked on his defense, both activities he said were “big points of emphasis.”

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read it as he isn't fully recovered from last season.

I think it was very sloppily written.

I think it can be easily read as he's up to 90% speed for the start of the season.  Which would be pretty normal imo, a few weeks out, injuries or no.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think it was very sloppily written.

I think it can be easily read as he's up to 90% speed for the start of the season.  Which would be pretty normal imo, a few weeks out, injuries or no.

It can be easily read that way because that’s what the writer wrote. 

Santander may find by lessening his load it’s easier to avoid the injuries.

16 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

It can be easily read that way because that’s what the writer wrote. 

Santander may find by lessening his load it’s easier to avoid the injuries.

It's poorly written, but I think my interpretation is more likely than he is injured or recovering from injury.