Ryan Mountcastle's Most Similar Batters List

Pickles

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They only singed Trumbo to the one contract.

I've noticed a Mandela effect with Trumbo.  The O's acquired him in a trade and he only ever signed one multi-year contract.

What I meant in comparison to Trumbo is not that the Orioles signed him to a second contract, but they gave him a 3/37M contract coming off a career year going into his age 31 season. 

Trumbo was a nice pickup for what he was originally intended to be a Chris Davis replacement at 1B. Instead the Orioles resigned both to high priced contracts that blew up in the organization's face. 

Trumbo is a big, non-athletic slugger who was never likely to age well and it made no sense to sign him, when the Orioles already had Davis under contract and Mancini as a rookie. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He still should be the top of the “young players to trade” list.

Unless player compensation changes drastically under the next collective bargaining agreement Mountcastle probably has more value as a 1B/DH until he hits free agency.

Being a bad defensive player who can only play 1B/DH is going to limit any return the Orioles could get in a trade unless Mountcastle's bat really takes off in year two. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

What I meant in comparison to Trumbo is not that the Orioles signed him to a second contract, but they gave him a 3/37M contract coming off a career year going into his age 31 season. 

Trumbo was a nice pickup for what he was originally intended to be a Chris Davis replacement at 1B. Instead the Orioles resigned both to high priced contracts that blew up in the organization's face. 

Trumbo is a big, non-athletic slugger who was never likely to age well and it made no sense to sign him, when the Orioles already had Davis under contract and Mancini as a rookie. 

I get what you meant but I think folks don't realize that Trumbo only ever signed the one free agent contract.  He was still under arbitration when the O's acquired him.

• Upvote 1

I get that Mountcastle has a low walk rate, but I think he’s proven to be a better pure hitter than either Mancini or Trumbo ever was. Mancini‘s upside is Mountcastle. I also think he’s exactly the type of player you keep precisely because he’s not likely to bring back stud pitching or infield help. If he does, by all means trade him, but I think this guy can be a key bat in the middle of a line up the wins a lot of games.

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I get that Mountcastle has a low walk rate, but I think he’s proven to be a better pure hitter than either Mancini or Trumbo ever was. Mancini‘s upside is Mountcastle. I also think he’s exactly the type of player you keep precisely because he’s not likely to bring back stud pitching or infield help. If he does, by all means trade him, but I think this guy can be a key bat in the middle of a line up the wins a lot of games.

2019 Mancini is laughing at this post.  He was a top 30 offensive player in all of baseball that year.  Mountcastle doesn’t have a higher ceiling than that.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Unless player compensation changes drastically under the next collective bargaining agreement Mountcastle probably has more value as a 1B/DH until he hits free agency.

Being a bad defensive player who can only play 1B/DH is going to limit any return the Orioles could get in a trade unless Mountcastle's bat really takes off in year two. 

I don't think of Mountcastle as a bad defensive 1B. He is more a player in learning mode having only played a little over a full season at 1B in the minors and majors combined.   As a former SS I expect he will probably become a plus defender at 1B in the near future.

• Upvote 1