2022 coaching assignments - incomplete

wildcard

Rich Dubroff has a article outlining the coaching assignments for next year.  I find it somewhat incomplete.  There is no mention of the infield or outfield coaches and there was talk of moving Holmes to the dugout and Cossins to the pen.   None of that is addressed in this article.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/12/14/orioles-finalize-2022-coaching-staff-gonzalez-hernandez-shift-roles-wiedman-bucko-new-strength-coaches/

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rich Dubroff has a article outlining the coaching assignments for next year.  I find it somewhat incomplete.  There is no mention of the infield or outfield coaches and there was talk of moving Holmes to the dugout and Cossins to the pen.   None of that is addressed in this article.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/12/14/orioles-finalize-2022-coaching-staff-gonzalez-hernandez-shift-roles-wiedman-bucko-new-strength-coaches/

But it’s addressed here (at least in part): https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/12/orioles-announce-2022-coaching-staff.html

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, kind of.   Roch clears up who the infield and outfield coaches are.  But the Orioles are not clear on who the bullpen coach will be and who will be in the dugout.   Seems kind of weird to have a rookie catcher and not catching coach in the dugout.

I believe that they already said that Cossins would move to the bullpen with Holmes moving to the dugout.  The infield / outfield coaches did not change, and they weren't expected to, so there really wasn't much to say about Mansolino (infield) and Sanders (outfield).  All of this basically makes things that we've already been told official.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Well, kind of.   Roch clears up who the infield and outfield coaches are.  But the Orioles are not clear on who the bullpen coach will be and who will be in the dugout.   Seems kind of weird to have a rookie catcher and not catching coach in the dugout.

I dunno. Adley probably could have coached Severino himself. I'm not worried about that.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno. Adley probably could have coached Severino himself. I'm not worried about that.

I don't think the fact that Adley is a good defensive player is the point.   Every player can benefit from someone that is watching him and ready to make suggestion as the game is being played.  Especially rookie that are trying to learn the opposition batters and the O's pitchers.

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't think the fact that Adley is a good defensive player is the point.   Every player can benefit from someone that is watching him and ready to make suggestion as the game is being played.  Especially rookie that are trying to learn the opposition batters and the O's pitchers.

You do realize that his father and grandfather are/were baseball coaches and he's had coaches at every level?

I don't think he, as a rookie, needs more coaching help than any other player would.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You do realize that his father and grandfather are/were baseball coaches and he's had coaches at every level?

I don't think he, as a rookie, needs more coaching help than any other player would.

Maybe not more but a least as much as any other catchers.   Most catchers have a  coach assigned to them in the dugout.   If Cossins is in the pen that might not be the best thing for coaching communication.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe not more but a least as much as any other catchers.   Most catchers have a  coach assigned to them in the dugout.   If Cossins is in the pen that might not be the best thing for coaching communication.

I’m sure the O’s have considered the pros and cons.   I’d imagine the pitching coaches are just as capable of giving Rutschman tips on pitch calling as Cossins is.   They probably can’t help as much on the physical aspects of catching, but that’s not really an in-game thing anyway.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure the O’s have considered the pros and cons.   I’d imagine the pitching coaches are just as capable of giving Rutschman tips on pitch calling as Cossins is.   They probably can’t help as much on the physical aspects of catching, but that’s not really an in-game thing anyway.  

I think the analytic team comes up with the pitch calling data.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hyde was a catcher too.

• Upvote 2