The All "Pretty Good" Orioles team

Tony-OH

Glad to see I'm not the only one to nominate Robin Roberts. Roberts pitched three-plus years for the O's, from '62 to mid-'65, compiling 11.7 rWAR if I added right (about 14% of his career 86.1 rWAR). Roberts also mentored the young Jim Palmer in the art of pitching, including how not to give up grand slams.

Williamson, for comparison, was worth a total of 6.6 rWAR over eight seasons with the Orioles.

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

Bedard won't make the Orioles HOF only because he was disliked. He was sensational in 2006-2007 and his play merited Orioles HOF status. People forget.

Not many guys who only played four years for the team are in the O’s HOF.

Tony's list looks good to me.  Also agree with a lot of other players that others have listed.  Here's a few more that I didn't notice anyone offering up so far:

Jeff Conine.  Russ Snyder.  Mickey Tettleton.  Wes Stock.  Pete Richert.  Chuck Estrada.  Jeremy Guthrie.

30 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Tony's list looks good to me.  Also agree with a lot of other players that others have listed.  Here's a few more that I didn't notice anyone offering up so far:

Jeff Conine.  Russ Snyder.  Mickey Tettleton.  Wes Stock.  Pete Richert.  Chuck Estrada.  Jeremy Guthrie.

Great call on Tettleton.

Fred Lynn wasn't as bad as some people have made him out to be.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:58 PM, jabba72 said:

Pretty alarming that Ben McDonald isnt in the O's Hall of Fame. JJ got elected in 21' I believe along with Devereaux, who I was going to bring up. Basically anyone who was an O's starter for a few years seems to make it. 

Ben's a good guy but with the Orioles he was 58-53 with a 111 ERA+, made just 142 starts, and never played in a postseason game.  The O's HOF voters seem to put a lot of emphasis on whether or not you were on teams that went to the postseason.

On 1/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, RZNJ said:

RP Tim Stoddard

RP Mark Williamson

Kind of surprising Stoddard isn't in, given his ties to the teams of the late 70s and early 80s, and the fact that 14(!) '79 Orioles have been inducted.  Really Kiko Garcia and Steve Stone are the only regulars on that team who aren't in, and I guess Full Pack, and if you want to count Sammy Stewart.

Williamson made me realize that the only '89 O's in the O's HOF are Ripken, Devereaux and Anderson.  No Milligan, no Tettleton, no Joe Orsulak.  Oh, I guess Gregg Olson is in.  No Kevin Hickey, no Dave Johnson.  I don't know, maybe that's enough.

But I'd have a big ceremony honoring both the '89 and '12 teams.  Have them all come back, give everybody Why Not? shirts and cardboard cutouts of Chris Davis lifting Nate McLouth over his shoulder.

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fred Lynn wasn't as bad as some people have made him out to be.

He wasn't awful, but he was a typical Oriole free agent.  Had been great years before, played well at times for us but wasn't a center fielder anymore but we kept running him out there.  And missed six or eight weeks with various injuries every year. 

It's not like we didn't know what we were getting, he was 33 when he signed and had been missing a month or two a year since he was 28.  Last time he was Fred Lynn, future Hall of Famer, was 1979 and the O's got him in '85.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2022 at 3:58 PM, jabba72 said:

Pretty alarming that Ben McDonald isnt in the O's Hall of Fame. JJ got elected in 21' I believe along with Devereaux, who I was going to bring up. Basically anyone who was an O's starter for a few years seems to make it. 

I am also surprised Ben is not in it.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:10 PM, SpOkane said:

26-man:

SP-Ben McDonald*

SP-Erik Bedard

SP-Wally Bunker*

SP-Robin Roberts*(Baseball HOF)

SP-Scott Erickson

SP-Steve Stone* 

SP/RP-Ross Grimsley 

RP-Sammy Stewart

RP-Tim Stoddard