ESPN top 100 all time list

Sports Guy

• Sports Guy changed the title to ESPN top 100 all time list
3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33138638/top-100-mlb-players-all-nos-100-51

What an absolutely horrific job they did so far.

Ripken and Beltre are top 30 all time in WAR and you have David Ortiz and Winfield ahead of them?  Lol

The write-up / blurb is even the classic evidence of Ripken being vastly underrated as a player due to the streak...

What he's best known for: Ripken's hallmark was consistency. And no moment captured that better than when the banners flipped to "2,131" in Camden Yards on Sept. 6, 1995, and Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive games streak, a record that might live on forever. Play stopped long enough for Ripken to encircle the ballpark and salute the fans, a moment that seemed to signal a resurgence in baseball interest coming off the cancellation of the 1994 World Series. Ripken was that beloved. -- Alden Gonzalez

No mention of the multiple MVPs, the all-time SS HR record, etc.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It will be interesting to see where Frank and Eddie are on the list.

I doubt Eddie made it.  Bagwell didn’t.

BTw, Mussina won’t be on it either.

If you read the methodology they talk how 20000 votes were casted and rhe #1 player was voted in the top 100 99% of the time.  I don’t know who the #1 guy is but let’s say it’s Babe Ruth.  That means 1% of the votes didn’t vote for Ruth as one of the top 100 players ever.  Wtf?  This list is total garbage.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If you read the methodology they talk how 20000 votes were casted and rhe #1 player was voted in the top 100 99% of the time.  I don’t know who the #1 guy is but let’s say it’s Babe Ruth.  That means 1% of the votes didn’t vote for Ruth as one of the top 100 players ever.  Wtf?  This list is total garbage.

What was it an internet poll w/ unlimited votes.  These lists are ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I hate to be that guy, but it's ESPN. They have become almost irrelevant in sports at least to me.

They are very relevant when it comes to football and really, they are essentially the NFLN that also happens to cover other sports at times.

Their baseball coverage is garbage although I do like Passan.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They are very relevant when it comes to football and really, they are essentially the NFLN that also happens to cover other sports at times.

Their baseball coverage is garbage although I do like Passan.

I really enjoyed ESPN when I was younger and they were filled with great personalities. I just kind of tuned out over the last 10 years or so. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I'd include him but you could certainly make a case that Ruth doesn't belong on the list.  It all depends on what definition of greatest players you are going with.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd include him but you could certainly make a case that Ruth doesn't belong on the list.  It all depends on what definition of greatest players you are going with.

What definition of greatness would exclude Babe Ruth from that list?

I suggest it would require a definition unrecognizable to the rest of us.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickles said:

What definition of greatness would exclude Babe Ruth from that list?

I suggest it would require a definition unrecognizable to the rest of us.

I don't think so, it would be one that factors in the improvement of the game over time.

Do you think you could drop Babe Ruth onto a field in 2022 and have him play at a high level?

Was Babe Ruth better than say Mookie Betts (who I don't think made the list)? 

In his day, compared to his peers, he was.  But overall?

A case could be made.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think so, it would be one that factors in the improvement of the game over time.

Do you think you could drop Babe Ruth onto a field in 2022 and have him play at a high level?

Was Babe Ruth better than say Mookie Betts (who I don't think made the list)? 

In his day, compared to his peers, he was.  But overall?

A case could be made.

Is this some sort of Yankee hatred coming through...how can one compare mookie to babe? if there is anyone to even compare to today is would be Shohei...