Fangraphs’ David Laurila interviews Colton Cowser

Frobby

From Laurila’s Sunday column:

Left on the cutting-room floor from my recent conversation with 21-year-old Colton Cowserwere his thoughts on fellow Baltimore Orioles outfield prospect Coby Mayo. I asked Cowser which of his teammates at Low-A Delmarva stood out the most.

“There were a lot of good guys,” said the Orioles 2021 first-round pick. “But Coby Mayo is kind of a monster. I don’t think he even knows how good he can be. He can hit the ball really hard, and he’s got a rocket for an arm. He’s also a good athlete for his size.”

Who showed the best pop in batting practice? 

“The one who was most consistent with home runs in BP was probably Connor Norby,” Cowser said of the 2021 second-rounder. “But the most raw power was definitely Coby.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-kody-clemens-has-grown-into-his-pop/

On 2/13/2022 at 3:48 AM, Frobby said:

I’m not sure how I missed this last Wednesday, but here it is.    Sounds like the O’s are working with Cowser on generating more power.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conversation-with-baltimore-orioles-prospect-colton-cowser/

Great interview.  Sounds like he's a real student of the game.  I can't help but see a young Raffy Palmeiro.  He's a level or 2 behind at his age, but he's actually hitting for a higher average.  Raffy also would typically get a few more walks than K's.  Raffy also started out as an OFer.  Didn't hit 20 homers till his age 26 season.  Cowser's now 215 lbs according to the article and was listed at 195 last season, so he's likely much stronger now - as well as much wiser.  It's fun to have a prospect like this.