Orioles have a "major announcement" at 9am on Friday 2/18 at Camden Yards. (Update: McCartney concert announced)

OsFanSinceThe80s

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I apologize, I hadn't known that Gigaton hit #1 in Austria when I made that post.

They are clearly still relevant.

I have learned a long time ago not to debate the smartest man in the room(always!) I am glad that you can google both their last album and where it landed on the Billboard charts.

We are all entitled to our opinions, I suppose, some just feel more confidently about theirs than others. Lurking for years helps me to know music is softest of soft spots. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TWpj said:

I have learned a long time ago not to debate the smartest man in the room(always!) I am glad that you can google both their last album and where it landed on the Billboard charts.

We are all entitled to our opinions, I suppose, some just feel more confidently about theirs than others. Lurking for years helps me to know music is softest of soft spots. 

You are 100% right, I did not know what their last album was.  That in and of itself I find interesting.

As for my opinion, I'm not sure it counts as an opinion.  I wasn't talking about the merits of their music, I was talking about their relevance.  When AC/DC can score a #1 album in the US and you can't do better than #5 (63K equivalent album units) I think it's fair to state you aren't relevant as an artist.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They should kick in a little extra for Ringo and bill it as a Beatles reunion.

At least Roy will be happy, his two favorite things in one place.

Maybe Paul can hang around a couple days after.  Ringo will be at the Lyric two days later, but on 6/12 he will be in RI.   Then again, who would want to spend that much time in Charm City? McCartney turns 80 6 days after the OPACY show.   

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

In case anyone wants to see it.

48 views LOL.

14K subscribers.  LOL

I don't see myself spending triple digits on a ticket to see Sir Paul.

But maybe I'll go to Pickles and sit at one of the tables out and have a few beers and listen.

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Is that what it will take to get out of the AL East?

I read a funny exchange on Fangraphs today.   Someone asked Ben Clemens, who’s from Tennessee, if he was outraged that the Memphis Grizzlies played in the NBA’s Western Conference.   Clemens replied that he was more outraged that the team was called the Grizzlies, since there are no grizzly bears in Tennessee, and even the black bears are in other parts of the state!

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I read a funny exchange on Fangraphs today.   Someone asked Ben Clemens, who’s from Tennessee, if he was outraged that the Memphis Grizzlies played in the NBA’s Western Conference.   Clemens replied that he was more outraged that the team was called the Grizzlies, since there are no grizzly bears in Tennessee, and even the black bears are in other parts of the state!

That's okay.  We haven't had a Grizzly Bear here in California for over 100 years and we still have one on the state flag.

I grew up in Utah - the birthplace of Jazz, or so it would seem.

8 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

That's okay.  We haven't had a Grizzly Bear here in California for over 100 years and we still have one on the state flag.

I grew up in Utah - the birthplace of Jazz, or so it would seem.

Yeah, I never understood why they kept the name after they moved from New Orleans.   I don’t remember if other alternatives were discussed publicly.   

Edit: Per Wikipedia - “Although Salt Lake City was not known for its jazz culture, the team decided to keep the name, as there was not enough time before the start of the 1979–80 season to receive league approval for a name change.”   Well, OK, but it’s been 43 years since then.    

John Angelos certainly doesn’t sound like a guy planning to move the team.  

“I think it does help the Orioles’ position in terms of saying we want to be part of the solution, we want to be a drawing card, we want to continue to do what we’ve done over 30 years. ... I’d like to think in our next phase of the partnership we’re not so much thinking about it in terms of a lease. Certainly, there will be negotiations. But I think the next phase of this is a public/private partnership, much like what the Orioles have done over the last 10-12 years in Sarasota, where we really are partnered with state, county and the city and we drive in that case nearly $100 million in economic impact a year.”

“From 2012 to 2016, when I think about the attendance, which really wasn’t that long ago, less than a handful of years before the pandemic sort of changed the world for all of us, what the Orioles were drawing to downtown Baltimore at the end of that five-year period of good play was a decent attendance, but I think we could have done better,” Angelos said.

“I think we would have done better had we maybe explored best practices. You can always market better, sell better, prepare better, make the customer experience better. And so I look at that high point of 2012 to 2016 as not the highest point we could have reached then, and I think that’s a good marker because that means if we do everything right, or many, if not most things right, for the next five-year period of competitiveness, we can do even better than that.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/02/john-angelos-on-lockout-lease-concert-rebuild-and-more.html

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I never understood why they kept the name after they moved from New Orleans.   I don’t remember if other alternatives were discussed publicly.   

Edit: Per Wikipedia - “Although Salt Lake City was not known for its jazz culture, the team decided to keep the name, as there was not enough time before the start of the 1979–80 season to receive league approval for a name change.”   Well, OK, but it’s been 43 years since then.    

They could have gone with Utah Basketball Team

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

John Angelos certainly doesn’t sound like a guy planning to move the team.  

“I think it does help the Orioles’ position in terms of saying we want to be part of the solution, we want to be a drawing card, we want to continue to do what we’ve done over 30 years. ... I’d like to think in our next phase of the partnership we’re not so much thinking about it in terms of a lease. Certainly, there will be negotiations. But I think the next phase of this is a public/private partnership, much like what the Orioles have done over the last 10-12 years in Sarasota, where we really are partnered with state, county and the city and we drive in that case nearly $100 million in economic impact a year.”

“From 2012 to 2016, when I think about the attendance, which really wasn’t that long ago, less than a handful of years before the pandemic sort of changed the world for all of us, what the Orioles were drawing to downtown Baltimore at the end of that five-year period of good play was a decent attendance, but I think we could have done better,” Angelos said.

“I think we would have done better had we maybe explored best practices. You can always market better, sell better, prepare better, make the customer experience better. And so I look at that high point of 2012 to 2016 as not the highest point we could have reached then, and I think that’s a good marker because that means if we do everything right, or many, if not most things right, for the next five-year period of competitiveness, we can do even better than that.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/02/john-angelos-on-lockout-lease-concert-rebuild-and-more.html

Minneapolis NBA team moved to LA and kept their name too, even though they were no longer playing in the Land of 10000 Lakes.

Indy's NFL team kept a name that was selected based on the fact that Baltimore hosts a Triple Crown race and Maryland had a thriving horse breeding/training industry.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

BTW, if you have an interest in Sir Paul's music, I highly recommend seeing him perform at least once. It's a great show and, at least for those of us of a certain age, a unique atmosphere. (And there are lots of fans there in their teens, 20's and 30's, singing along.)

Agreed.  Saw him in 2013 during his "Out There" tour.  Dude just enjoys performing.  Puts on a very enjoyable show.