Carter Baumler 2022-23

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I guess Baumler isn’t a high velocity guy if 93  mph fastball is being called out? Seems like he’s more pitch ability and good command with solid offerings.

Oh boy, the hitters are dreadful, no one hitting above 260.

I’d say considering the fact that he’s just starting his first season of pro ball and he’s only 20, there is a good chance of him adding a few ticks to the fastball. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

5/25 (raw notes)

Smoth repeatable delivery. Mature body.

93 MPH on 3rd pitch

3-2 curveball for K looking (80 mph)

Strikeout swinging on FB (302)

2nd inning

Starting most players off with offspeed, getting ahead

Curve best pitch (plus pitch at times)

Leaving changeup up (some horizontal movement)

Slider well below average

Two K's looking on fastballs

3rd inning

Impressive fastball-curveball combo (fastball 93 MPH)

Changup and slider need work.

Has some Chris Tillman in him.

Thanks for posting all this!!! Is his velocity supposedly to increase a bit more from TJ or no?

2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Thanks for posting all this!!! Is his velocity supposedly to increase a bit more from TJ or no?

I can't say that he can't pick up a notch or two, but he's got a pretty mature body from what I saw.  It's a pretty easy delivery though so there could be more when he needs it.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Baumler is done for the day.  I’m hoping Tony will elaborate on his notes, but from my point of view, for a guy pitching in his first pro game after not pitching for 2 years in a competitive environment, that’s a very nice first outing.   Sounds like some of his secondaries need work, but that’s fine under the circumstances.  He’s got time to work on those.  

Yeah. I wouldn't read a ton into velo or secondaries after 1 start. He's pitching. That's what's most important.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah. I wouldn't read a ton into velo or secondaries after 1 start. He's pitching. That's what's most important.

True, and my observations were my raw notes durig this one start. If I remember correctly, he suppoesdly threw a good changeup prior to the the TJ surgery so that could certainly be a feel thing. The curveball has that hard late break though and looks to have plus potential. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What was his velo pre TJ/ HS days?

Here’s what Tony said on draft day:

Carter Baumler is an overslot who people did not think was signable. The Orioles reportedly will be able to sign all of their draft picks, which tells me they have agreements. What a steal as a 5th rounder. They call him a more athletic Zack Greinke.

Baumler brings a 92-94 fastball with a clean, athletic delivery with good spin rate that will up in the zone. Missed time due to mono but some believe he has as much if not more potential than the top two high school arms taken. 

This is an absolute steal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.  So, the TJ surgery didn’t lose any velo.

OTOh, it can also be expected that he would be throwing harder now vs HS, so you could argue that he is less now than he may have been.

That said, he certainly could end up throwing harder down the road.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thank you.  So, the TJ surgery didn’t lose any velo.

OTOh, it can also be expected that he would be throwing harder now vs HS, so you could argue that he is less now than he may have been.

That said, he certainly could end up throwing harder down the road.

I'd expect is velo to pick up during the season and last longer in starts. I know he's been working out and building strength, but there's nothing like in-game pitching. Real innings are irreplaceable, particularly since I doubt they put him on anything like a driveline max effort program during his rehab. 

Last night was a great step, but I'd expect a lot of him getting better on the horizon. 

From what I've read in various sources, he didn't throw the CH often in HS.  It could be the coaches pitching philosophy (trust your heat and use the curve as the off-speed).  But it's supposed to be at least an average pitch that he needs to be more consistent with.

I'm really excited about Baumler being on the mound.  His path this year is among my most hopeful MiLB stories to follow (of many).  IMO he's not quite a dark horse, but more a hidden gem.  He is the next wave/tier after GR and DL.  Obviously, he's got more projectability risk (age/health) than a guy like Bradish, but I think Baumler's upside is as high.