Carter Baumler 2022-23

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Just guessing, but it seems like the O's just don't value the experience of facing other teams as much as they value a controlled environment for their players.

That doesn't necessarily mean their rehab and development isn't progressing, it means that it's not progressing in front of our eyes.

I can get behind the controlled environment to a point.  But I don't really understand the value-add to the organization or player development of not putting them in a competitive situation.  Are we/they close enough that hiding the development help minimize scouting against us?  No.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

They could also be waiting for warmer weather for both previously injured pitchers thats why they are throwing in Sarasota instead of up north. I kind of agree that Elias likes the controlled environment, at least when compared to April weather anyway.

This could be true, especially considering the shorter ST.  But really feels like a long way from the original injury for Baumler and Hall.

32 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I can get behind the controlled environment to a point.  But I don't really understand the value-add to the organization or player development of not putting them in a competitive situation.

I'm kind of on board with my theory and kind of playing devil's advocate, so take this for what it's worth...

Injury->rehab->flat ground->mound->simulated games->live competition

My guess is live competition brings out competitive juices and adversity that they'd prefer to limit until after a player has built up strength. I've seen guys over throw, change mechanics, fight through long innings and generally be a different pitcher in live versus side work. It's a simple enough theory that they see risk in releasing them to live games before a certain build up because live games bring more arm stress for any number of reasons.

Long story short, they want arm strength before adversity. They don't want to work on arm strength and through adversity simultaneously.

Yes, it is conservative relative to what I've ever seen before. Doesn't mean it's wrong though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I'm kind of on board with my theory and kind of playing devil's advocate, so take this for what it's worth...

Injury->rehab->flat ground->mound->simulated games->live competition

My guess is live competition brings out competitive juices and adversity that they'd prefer to limit until after a player has built up strength. I've seen guys over throw, change mechanics, fight through long innings and generally be a different pitcher in live versus side work. It's a simple enough theory that they see risk in releasing them to live games before a certain build up because live games bring more arm stress for any number of reasons.

Long story short, they want arm strength before adversity. They don't want to work on arm strength and through adversity simultaneously.

Yes, it is conservative relative to what I've ever seen before. Doesn't mean it's wrong though.

But Baumler faced live competition in the spring training intrasquad game that Kjerstad hurt his hamstring in. If he was facing live hitters then, why is he still there now? I doubt he would have been allowed to have competed in that game if they didn't feel he was 100%. 

That suggests to me either he tweaked something this spring or he struggled enough that they didn't think he was ready for Delmarva. Considering some of the arms I've seen in Delmarva this year, I sure as heck hope it wasn't because he couldn't beat them out for a spot on the team.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But Baumler faced live competition in the spring training intrasquad game that Kjerstad hurt his hamstring in. If he was facing live hitters then, why is he still there now? I doubt he would have been allowed to have competed in that game if they didn't feel he was 100%. 

That suggests to me either he tweaked something this spring or he struggled enough that they didn't think he was ready for Delmarva. Considering some of the arms I've seen in Delmarva this year, I sure as heck hope it wasn't because he couldn't beat them out for a spot on the team.

Elias has a fair bit riding on the Baumler pick, I could see him not wanting him out there looking bad in game action.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Right, because they will never have to pitch in cold weather in the future. If that's the reason, its dumb.

I would like to hear from Elias or the training staff the more detailed rationale for keeping Hall in Sarasota.   I’m sure they have reasons for thinking this makes sense.   But we don’t know what they are, and the quotes we’ve heard are very superficial.  It would be interesting if some interviewer would drill down on this a little, but that probably won’t happen because the percentage of the fan base that wants a better explanation is minuscule.   

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m not too worried about this.  Baumler hasn’t pitched in two years, so even assuming he’s healthy, he may need to sharpen up for a while before he heads to a full season affiliate.   Look how long the O’s kept Mayo down in Florida last year.  

Also, I assume they won’t want Baumler to pitch a ton of innings this year.   He could be on the “Pinto Plan,” 65-70 innings between the FCL and Delmarva.  

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, oldfan said:

With the Draft not being held until mid July, is there enough players to fill out two rosters in the FCL?

Well, they had two DSL teams last year, so I imagine they can make do until the reinforcements come.  They had the same situation last year viz. the draft.  

• Upvote 1