Carter Baumler 2022-23

Tony-OH

On 5/11/2022 at 11:36 AM, Sports Guy said:

So what are you waiting for?  

Well, he must not be good enough yet, which is a bit concerning. They did the same with Willems and when he showed up, he was bad. While Mayo is handling High-A ok for a 20-year old, the other high school overslot guys have not exactly looked very good the last few years. 

Who knows really? It's hard to tell with how the Orioles slow develop their players.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:33 PM, oldfan said:

With the Draft not being held until mid July, is there enough players to fill out two rosters in the FCL?

They could demote about 3/4 of the Delmarva roster since few of them are good enough to be in Low-A.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, he must not be good enough yet, which is a bit concerning. They did the same with Willems and when he showed up, he was bad. While Mayo is handling High-A ok for a 20-year old, the other high school overslot guys have not exactly looked very good the last few years. 

Who knows really? It's hard to tell with how the Orioles slow develop their players.

I’m less concerned with Baumler than with Willems, who was healthy and got into a few games last summer.  Baumler has never pitched a pro inning.   I won’t be surprised if they give him 4-6 starts in the FCL, like they did with Pinto last summer before bringing him up to Delmarva.  (I see I said that already.)

57 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Apparently pitched well today 3.0 P with 6k 3BB and no hits. I wonder if they're trying to build him up to 5 innings or so

3BB in 3 innings isn’t pitching well.  Build him up for what?  To go to Delmarva?  That makes no sense.  If he’s healthy, he should be facing real competition.  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

3BB in 3 innings isn’t pitching well.  Build him up for what?  To go to Delmarva?  That makes no sense.  If he’s healthy, he should be facing real competition.  

6 k’s and no hits isn’t pitching well?  Sure I’d prefer fewer walks but that’s a pretty good outing if you ask me.   And I’m not going to second guess what the O’s are doing with him since I know nothing about what his rehab has been like and what they want him to do before pitching for an affiliate.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

6 k’s and no hits isn’t pitching well?  Sure I’d prefer fewer walks but that’s a pretty good outing if you ask me.   And I’m not going to second guess what the O’s are doing with him since I know nothing about what his rehab has been like and what they want him to do before pitching for an affiliate.  

I’d say it was absolutely a good outing!  

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I would call it more of a mixed bag.  Either way, he should be pitching in Delmarva.

21 hours ago, seak05 said:

Apparently pitched well today 3.0 P with 6k 3BB and no hits. I wonder if they're trying to build him up to 5 innings or so

Potentially good movement on his pitches.  But still some things to work on too.  Sounds like a good base to work from at least.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:24 PM, RZNJ said:

Nothing less than AL Cy Young award this year is acceptable!!  LOL

3 walks is not good in 3 IP but 0 hits and 6 strikeouts is a positive even in extended spring training games.  

It sounds like control could be what's holding him back. It held hall back for a bit as well but he figured it out. Hopefully Baumler will to. 

I do find it disappointing that he's unable to compete in Low-A though.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It sounds like control could be what's holding him back. It held hall back for a bit as well but he figured it out. Hopefully Baumler will to. 

I do find it disappointing that he's unable to compete in Low-A though.

As usual, there's a lot of things we don't know.   I'm not concerned about what he can do at Delmarva until I see him in Delmarva.  I know we disagree on this but I don't agree that Wiilems and Baumler not making Delmarva out of ST meant the talent level or necessarily even the performance was lacking.  

Willems had very few AB's in the FCL and Baumler had no innings there.  It doesn't seem bad to me to get them extra reps and instruction in a less competitive environment to start the year.  As always, time will tell if the talent is there.