Orioles close to signing Chirinos (Update: Signed for 900k)

Moose Milligan

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

MLB Network just reported the deal for 900k. I like it, personally. 

Me too.  An experienced vet and mentor to back up our rookie catcher.  Not horrendous behind the plate.  Hits like he has a pool noodle in his hands, but who cares, he's a backup catcher. 

Gets this backup catcher spot locked down without a bunch of ambiguity approaching the season.  I think it's solid.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

MLB Network just reported the deal for 900k. I like it, personally. 

Newly ~130% of the minimum, whereas last year would have been >150%.

I believe Chirinos and Marwin Gonzalez were the two finalists when Paul Mancano and the other young MASN guy blogged a bracket of Orioles free agents earlier this offseason.   Marwin is still out there if they had any inside scoop.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Me too.  An experienced vet and mentor to back up our rookie catcher.  Not horrendous behind the plate.  Hits like he has a pool noodle in his hands, but who cares, he's a backup catcher. 

Gets this backup catcher spot locked down without a bunch of ambiguity approaching the season.  I think it's solid.

Anyone know how mentory  he is?  Has he got good mentor skills?  Has he mentored anyone good?

Hate to think Elias signed a sub par mentor for a guy that doesn't need a mentor in the first place.

24 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Newly ~130% of the minimum, whereas last year would have been >150%.

I believe Chirinos and Marwin Gonzalez were the two finalists when Paul Mancano and the other young MASN guy blogged a bracket of Orioles free agents earlier this offseason.   Marwin is still out there if they had any inside scoop.

I'd like to see us pick up Marwin Gonzalez, especially now that Josh Harrison has signed with the White Sox.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone know how mentory  he is?  Has he got good mentor skills?  Has he mentored anyone good?

Hate to think Elias signed a sub par mentor for a guy that doesn't need a mentor in the first place.

Most of Chirino's career has been in the AL so he knows the hitters.  I can't speak to him being a mentor other than that.