Will Tyler Wells stretch out this year?

Just Regular

Some chatter the Red Sox will give Garrett Whitlock a starter's spring, coming off his great 2021.    As Minor League SP's, 2021 Rule 5 and 2019 TJ twins who both had promising first years in a relief role, it sort of feels like whatever strategic options one has, so might the other...just a matter of Club preference.   Tyler Wells was one of the best Orioles pitching stories of last year.    Here's how they compare demographically:

Tyler Wells 8.26.1994

Pedigree: 15th Rd - 90K

2021 workload: 44 games / 57 innings (about 1.3 IP/game)

Minors history: 250 IP, 288/75 K/BB

Tommy John: May 2019

Garrett Whitlock 6.11.1996

Pedigree: "18th" Rd - 250K (his draft year 250K a typical 6th round bonus)

2021 workload: 46 games / 73 innings (a little more than 1.5 IP/game)

Minors history: 200 IP, 201/59 K/BB

Tommy John: July 2019

I haven't seen any indications yet, but curious to see if Elias will shoot for more of a multi-inning or single-inning role for Wells in 2022.

When Elias drafted him in the Rule 5 draft it was because he thought he had starter's stuff. Now, could the fact that they had to shut him down due to shoulder inflammation be a reason to keep him in the pen, that's a good question. 

But, he's got a starter's repertoire so if the Orioles think he can hold up, I think they give him a shot. 

• Upvote 3

I've been adamant in the past about giving "relievers" chances at starting, and certainly included Wells as a guy who should be looked at.

With the shortened spring, and the shoulder, I don't think this is the right time to try to get him into the OD rotation.

However, I would immediately see how he held up under multiple inning relief appearances, with the idea of eventually stretching him out for a starters' workload.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

So I got some information on Wells. 

It appears the plan right now is to stretch him out. 

They are loooking at him more as a long relief/piggy back type thing than a pure starter.

So the Orioles may be going to more of a piggy back approach this year with their young pitchers. 

Sounds like exactly what I prescribed above.  They should be paying me.

I don’t know the best way to go about doing so, but it absolutely needs to be in the plan that he will be stretched out. Would be incomprehensibly foolish to never allow a 4 pitch pitcher who clearly “has it” to try to succeed as a starter just because you put him in the bullpen as a Rule V draftee coming off a couple inactive years and he performed well. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

So I got some information on Wells. 

It appears the plan right now is to stretch him out. 

They are loooking at him more as a long relief/piggy back type thing than a pure starter.

So the Orioles may be going to more of a piggy back approach this year with their young pitchers. 

What do they mean by “piggy back”?  Like using an opener for 1-2 IP then piggy backing with Wells (and others) as a middle for 3-4 IP?